HDMI with the HC1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Trustee

HDMI with the HC1?

Did HC1 miss out on the HDMI? Is it only with the HC3?

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; March 22nd, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: prohibited link
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:02 PM   #2
New Boot

Sadly there's no hdmi output on the HC1. There are component outs, but I've got no idea if they are uncompressed or not. You can also record direct-to-disc via firewire and a laptop, but I think that is an hdv signal.
Michael Daul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM   #3

Component out on *all* HDV camcorders is uncompressed.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Trustee

Ok, so how can I capture that uncompressed data with a laptop?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:36 PM   #5
New Boot

Hmm - I'm not aware of anything that works with a laptop, but the black magic cards work great:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hd/
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #6
Trustee

Ok, the HC1 doesn't have hdmi output, so I am not sure if that would work...yes/no?

Also, component out just has RCA jacks. So am I correct in thinking that there is no way of getting uncompressed to a laptop via this method?
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #7
New Boot

Well like I said, I don't know of a way to capture component HD with a laptop, but using the blackmagic card (with a desktop machine) you use a breakout cable to hookup the component outs of the hc1 to the card (using rca to bnc adapters):
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro....asp?prodID=18
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

surley you can just use firewire to capture the signal???
Mauritius Seeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #9
Trustee

I've said this before, but may have been missed in the sheer number of very informative posts here, so I will try to explain again.

Look at this image: http://www.millcon.nl/Harm/HDMI.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
HDMI with the HC1?-hdmi.jpg  
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #10
Trustee

Yes, I can see with the 4:2:0 firewire compared to the 4:2:2 HDMI, it is going to be better off with the HDMI card. Hopefully other manufacturers come out with their own knock-offs and bring down the price.
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
Yes, I can see with the 4:2:0 firewire compared to the 4:2:2 HDMI, it is going to be better off with the HDMI card. Hopefully other manufacturers come out with their own knock-offs and bring down the price.
David,

My message maybe was not clear enough, but once your shoot is recorded on tape it is stored as 1440x1080 @ 4:2:0 and there is no way you get it back to 1920x1080 @ 4:2:2 format. The info has been lost forever. Even a HDMI connection can not change that fact. HDMI is just a transfer protocol and in essence no different from fire wire, once the data has been stored to tape.

ONLY when you capture LIVE, BEFORE RECORDING to tape can you use HDMI or HD-SDI to it's fullest potential, uncompressed @ 4:2:2 but that requires massive storage potential as indicated.
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Trustee

Yes, I think I understand- I want to go directly to laptop - not recording to tape, so I guess that is recording live so-to-speak. Is that what you mean?
Old March 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Trustee

Correct, but I would be interested to hear the specs of your notebook that supports a sustained transfer rate of 200 MB/s (that's MEGA BYTES). I know that a 2 disk SATAII Raid0 @ 7200 RPM will NOT fit the bill, not even close. Even a 2 disk Maxtor Atlas 15K II SCSI array will not meet requirements. If you double click on the thumbnail in my previous post, legibility will be improved. Read my remarks.
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #14
Trustee

Ok, so only with those speeds I will get the 4:2:2. Now I am clear. No my laptop does not have those speeds.
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
Correct, but I would be interested to hear the specs of your notebook that supports a sustained transfer rate of 200 MB/s (that's MEGA BYTES). I know that a 2 disk SATAII Raid0 @ 7200 RPM will NOT fit the bill, not even close. Even a 2 disk Maxtor Atlas 15K II SCSI array will not meet requirements. If you double click on the thumbnail in my previous post, legibility will be improved. Read my remarks.
That's why we're considering the Intensity card with the Cineform codec. It's HUGELY reduced the transfer rate so a fast, single HDD with fast CPU can capture easily. See Cineform's page for details:

http://www.cineform.com/products/Tec.../Intensity.htm

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series