water housing for HC7 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old April 25th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

I ended up with the SPK-HCC housing. It works great, the whole rig is light and easy to handle. I recommend a boogie board leash to teather it to your wrist in heavy surf.
Aloha,wz
Wayne Zebzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The Epic Cam is a cheap spoof off of www.aquatix.com

I highly suggest an Aquatix waterhousing over an Epic waterhousing. I've had the Aquatix waterhousing and its pretty darn rugged for its price.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Regular Crew

water audio

One more note on the SPK-HCC housing. It has stereo a mic pickup on the housing. I first thought "I don't need this" but last weekend I was hired to tape the Expedia.com Kauai World challenge canoe race in Hawaii from a tiny rocking Zodiac boat, a 32 mile race on the open ocean.
A racer crashed onto the rocks in the heavy surf after cutting the corner too tight and we became a rescue boat. The SPK-HCC mics picked up the subsequent interview with the racer as we boated him to safety. It also picked up the voices of racers in waist deep water who waited onshore to switch (relay style) with incoming canoes.
Worth the price difference.
Aloha,
Wayne Z
www.waynz.com
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #19
Trustee

Wayne, have tried it in surf yet? How big (the real measure, not the new met service size ;) )

//Finished =19, =25 in the 86/87 Morey Boogie Pro Pipeline Invitational
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Aloha George !
I tried it in 2-4 ft surf (back of the wave) at shipwrecks beach, it's almost a shore break, very short ride. I got slammed around pretty good so I handed it off to my 16 yr old son who did way better than I. The housing has a good feel and I found it easy to hang onto one handed, of course you can't use the swing out viewfinder mirror in waves so it's just blind luck shooting. You being a pipeline vet would have no problem!
Best,
Wayne Z
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM   #21
Tourist

I used it in Hawaii for the last two weeks and it performed excellently. I also saw the canoe races.

I shot two hours of underwater video snorkling in Molokini and swimming with green sea turtles, and the only criticism I have is that as Wayne said, it is difficult to view the display. i just ended up aiming the entire housing.

It worked pretty well.
Dan Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series