water housing for HC7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

water housing for HC7

Anyone know of an inexpensive water housing for the HC7 ?
Wayne Zebzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Major Player

$269.00: http://epiccam.com/products/housings/epic-sport.html
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you John, that is an excellent price for shallow dive apps.
wz
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Major Player

It appears that the Sony Sports Pack SPK-HCC is also compatible with the HDR-HC7 (it isn't listed as compatible on the Sony Style web page but it is in the product's manual). It is $199.95 at B&H.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The SPK-HCB may also work - I'll know for sure in a couple days, but it appears to be compatible from my research. Once I have the HC7 in hand I'll confirm w/ my HCB. Sony rates to 17 ft shallow dive, HCC probably similar.

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Dave, I'll wait for your post.
wz
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Wayne -
Should know next Tuesday - my cam's on the way! The Sony sport packs seem pretty decent for shallow depth work, and they control the camera through the "D" jack, which has a LANC interface among other things! I'm pretty sure the HCB and HCC both should work for the HC7, sure hope so anyhow, since I've got a couple HCB's for foul weather use!

DB>)
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

HCB works fine

Hi -
Got my HC7 in hand, having an interesting time playing with it - not exactly what I expected, but definitely a nice cam overall. DEFINITELY like the OIS, and sharpness seems on par with my HC1 on video, the stills are WAY sharper!

As for the water housing the sony SPK-HCB "will" work, but I found the "C" sled insert works better than the "B" one the HC3 used. It has a guide channel for the Lanc/"D"plug cable, and you'll need it fot he way the plug goes into the 7. The two positions for the "B" sled cause the cam to rub either on the cable on the left, or the hand strap on the right.

So there you go - while Sony calls for the HCC, if you can find an HCB at the right price, you should be good to go! Since I picked up a couple used HCB's cheap, I'm happy!

DB>)
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Dave,

I just bought the HDR-HC7 and am very interested in buying either the SPK-HCC or SPK-HCB....and man finding out if they are compatible with the HC7 has been an entire night of research...(Sony themselves say "they are not compatible"...)

So I read from one of the reviews online for the HC7 is that the SPK-HCB will work, but he had to make a custom mounting plate (which I do NOT want to do!). But from what you said Dave, that you just use the "C" insert sled that comes with the SPK-HCB and it will work fine? I want to be 100% sure before I plunk down the cash for it.

[/url]

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; April 5th, 2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: please do not post links to other communities.
Aaron Nanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Major Player

The HC7 is listed as compatible with the SPK-HCC in the manual. It lists the HDR-UX7/UX5/UX3/HC7/HC5/HC3 models.

I've been wondering if the HC1 will fit. I'm told it is incompatible but since the SPK-HCC is 6 3/8 x 5 7/8 x 8 3/4 inches it should hold the HDR-HC1, which is 2 7/8 x 3 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches (clearly, models may be compatible that are not listed). Anybody know?
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Nanto View Post
Dave,

I just bought the HDR-HC7 and am very interested in buying either the SPK-HCC or SPK-HCB....and man finding out if they are compatible with the HC7 has been an entire night of research...(Sony themselves say "they are not compatible"...)

So I read from one of the reviews online for the HC7 is that the SPK-HCB will work, but he had to make a custom mounting plate (which I do NOT want to do!). But from what you said Dave, that you just use the "C" insert sled that comes with the SPK-HCB and it will work fine? I want to be 100% sure before I plunk down the cash for it.
Hi Aaron -

I tried Sony online support,and got the same "not compatible" answer...

I believe the HCC IS shown as compatible with the HC7.

I can confirm that when mounted on the only screw mounting point on the "C" sled in a HCB, the HC7 is quite cozy - it's a tight fit on the handstrap, which you may need to move a bit (the camera may shift to a slight angle, but the flip out screen lines up in a FAR better spot than it did with the HC3 - I am far happier!).

I'm not sure if the HCB comes with a 37MM anti reflection ring, I believe it does, but my secondhand housings came with a mixed bag of miscellaneous spares and I can't say for sure if the 37MM AR rings were with those specific housings originally - MOST LIKELY they were..., I am pretty sure you'll need to have an AR ring to avoid reflections off the spiffy chrome lens ring on the 7!

Finally, there isn't really room for mounting a WA as the housing comes stock, and if you want that, you may need to modify one of the included sleds. There is plenty of room behind the camera, so I'll be looking at that possibility somewhere along the line!

DB>)

Last edited by Douglas Spotted Eagle; April 5th, 2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: please do not post links to other communities.
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Hi Aaron -

I tried Sony online support,and got the same "not compatible" answer...

I believe the HCC IS shown as compatible with the HC7.

I can confirm that when mounted on the only screw mounting point on the "C" sled in a HCB, the HC7 is quite cozy - it's a tight fit on the handstrap, which you may need to move a bit (the camera may shift to a slight angle, but the flip out screen lines up in a FAR better spot than it did with the HC3 - I am far happier!).

I'm not sure if the HCB comes with a 37MM anti reflection ring, I believe it does, but my secondhand housings came with a mixed bag of miscellaneous spares and I can't say for sure if the 37MM AR rings were with those specific housings originally - MOST LIKELY they were..., I am pretty sure you'll need to have an AR ring to avoid reflections off the spiffy chrome lens ring on the 7!

Finally, there isn't really room for mounting a WA as the housing comes stock, and if you want that, you may need to modify one of the included sleds. There is plenty of room behind the camera, so I'll be looking at that possibility somewhere along the line!

DB>)
Thanks for the further detail on the housing Dave. Reading up more it looks like I should get the more expensive HCC model if I really want no issues. I read elsewhere that the HCB does not natively come with an anti-reflection ring so yet another reason to get the HCC.

Good to hear that there is plenty of room in the back of the cam...I was worried that I couldn't use the NPFH100 battery with it....
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie View Post
The HC7 is listed as compatible with the SPK-HCC in the manual. It lists the HDR-UX7/UX5/UX3/HC7/HC5/HC3 models.

I've been wondering if the HC1 will fit. I'm told it is incompatible but since the SPK-HCC is 6 3/8 x 5 7/8 x 8 3/4 inches it should hold the HDR-HC1, which is 2 7/8 x 3 3/4 x 7 1/2 inches (clearly, models may be compatible that are not listed). Anybody know?
Hi John -

Two possible problems (I have the HC1 and an HCB but not a HCC) - the fit will likely be tight - the front "lens" on my HCB is a good 5/8"+ (almost 3/4") recessed behind the outside edge of the bezel/ring... I measure my HC1 at just shy of 7 1/2" - not a lot of wiggle room, but seems like it MIGHT work.

Here's the rub - the "D" plug that the HCB and I presume the HCC use to send the LANC signal to the HC3/5/7 DOES NOT have a connection on the HC1 - to be accurate, the HC1 has a LANC via the miniplug, but no connection at that "D" jack on the cam. I know the HCA had the miniplug in addition to the "D" connector, but unless the HCC has the miniplug, you'd be looking at some mods to be able to get it to interface - not impossible, but could be a problem if the LANC voltages are different, or if there are other peculiarities between the housing LANC control and the camera... In theory it should work, then again the FP series batteries shoulda worked in the HC7 when modified to fit... they do engineer in some obstacles sometimes...

SO, there's what I CAN tell you, hope it will help in your quest - at least you know what you're facing if you want to try this rig or have someone attempt to mod it for you.

DB>)
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #14
Major Player

I have the HC7 and bought the HCB recently when it was on sale at Amazon for $99. I still haven't used it, as I'm spending my time learning the HC7 on dry land first.

I am not sure if this helps answer one of the questions raised here, but it comes with a set of "anti reflex" rings, which I assume are for anti reflection, but they appear from the instructions- written in a hybrid of Japanese and English, to be 25, 62 and 43 mm. I assume it would be easy enough to adapt them to the HC7.

I'm sure when I actually get around to using this, probably later this month, I'll be back with questions about how to actually get it set up.
Ruth Happel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 04:15 PM   #15
Tourist

I have received the HCC

I just tried the fit with my HDR-HC7 and it fits and works perfectly. I only wish that it would have been for only the HC7, as it could have been smaller, but I am happy.
Dan Collins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series