DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   How do dub between two HDR'S (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/91586-how-do-dub-between-two-hdrs.html)

Kevin Carter April 15th, 2007 04:56 PM

How do dub between two HDR'S

I have 2 HDR-HCS's and can't figure out how to dub a tape between them.
I have the FW cord all set up fine between them.
The manual is no help, so I will have to get help here.

I remember with Canon GL1, I would (strangely) put both camcorders in PLay mode, then play the one with the recorded tape and hit record on the other, and with GL1, the recording camera would start recording even though it was in play mode.

Anyway, I've tried all variations, and that does not work with Sony.

I"ve tried everything and cannot get the picutre of what being played back on the playback device to show on the recording device. the recording device, just continues to record what's in the room. The manual is no help, hopefully someone here knows.

Ron Evans April 15th, 2007 06:00 PM

Do you have it in VCR mode NOT camcorder mode.
Ron

Kevin Carter April 16th, 2007 04:54 PM

thanks Ron:
you are referring to the modes you get then turn the little wheel with the green button on it.

it turns and you get: camera memory, play/edit, and camera tape.
are you referring to those?

I think I would have the camcorder playing back on play edit, and the one I wanted to dub the tape to to camera/tape(which is what you need to be in to record)

Is this wrong?

Ron Evans April 16th, 2007 05:15 PM

Yes BOTH should be on play/edit, NOT camera.

Ron Evans

Kevin Carter April 16th, 2007 05:52 PM

Ok Rob, but when the deck that is recording, is on play, and I hit record, nothing happens, it wont record in play mode. That's the roadblock. what am doing wrong?

Ron Evans April 16th, 2007 06:39 PM

BOth camcorders must be in the play/edit mode. They are now working as decks NOT camcorders. To make them play or record the deck controls must be use, NOT the camcorder buttons. I don't know what cams you have but mine require two buttons to be pushed at the same time,to start recording, the play and record buttons.

Ron

Kevin Carter April 16th, 2007 09:36 PM

Ok Ron, thanks, getting closer.
The problem , of course , then is the deck that is being dubbed to, the one recording, when is in play mode, I click record and it starts recording through the lens -- and I'm using I guess, the camcorder button, -- so then the question is what do I click, what is the "deck control" to record when in play mode?

Ron Evans April 17th, 2007 07:55 AM

Kevin
What camera do you have? All Sony's have a set of buttons that control playback. Play, pause, FF,REW and a button with a RED dot on it. Start the playback cam. Place the recording camcorder in play/edit press the PLAY AND the button with the RED dot, AT THE SAME TIME, Pressing one then the other will not work. They must be pressed at the same time. This is a safety mechanism to stop people recording over their tape during playback!!!!!! You can also do this from the remote with the same set of buttons. The newer models like the HC5/7 etc do this from the LCD touch screen ( page 68 in your manual). Both player and recorder must be set up correctly for the signal ie DV or HDV). If you use the remote disable the remote on the player cam otherwise both will go into record!!!!!!!!!!
Ron

Kevin Carter April 17th, 2007 08:25 PM

Thanks Ron:
I have HDR-HC3.
Ok, getting closer.
I have both set to play.
Deck that I want to record on hase the picture of whats playing on the play deck.
But when I click on little record circle on the far left bottom of the lcd, nothing happens, wont record.
Hitting play and record together there does not work either. All that does it start play on record deck and I see blue screen. HItting record on the other record button of the recording deck, ( on the off/on wheel) of course does not work.
page 68 of my manual does not touch on these subjects.

Ron Evans April 17th, 2007 08:51 PM

Instructions are on page 78 of the HC3 manual.
Ron

Kevin Carter April 18th, 2007 11:54 AM

Excellent Ron, thanks!
that was the crucial, crucial info there on page 78.

Strangely enough, thats a section apart from the two pages 74 & 75 that discuss dubbing -- don't go over this at all.

and on 78, the subject it about dubbing from a home VCR -- real disorganized manaul writing -- God bless the forums here.

Adam Gold April 18th, 2007 01:05 PM

Yeah, Sony isn't well-known for great manuals. Silly that you need to go into a special "REC CTRL" menu on the P-menu area rather than just pushing record.

You might want to post this answer, or at least news that you've got your answer, on the other threads you wrote about this. Starting multiple threads ont he same subject makes it hard for everyone to keep up with the status of your problem and what solutions have been offered...

Congrats on getting your answer.