DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   How dub to my Home DVD recorder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/93812-how-dub-my-home-dvd-recorder.html)

Kevin Carter May 11th, 2007 12:02 PM

How dub to my Home DVD recorder?

With old Canon analog, had no issue with this. I would set recorder unput to DV.
But with Sony, wont work, don't see picture on screen.

Farthest I got in ideas was in manual to turn on i link, but some message comes on then about computer, and then an error, (I trying to burn to home DVD recoder not computer) Any help appreciated? thanks.

Boyd Ostroff May 11th, 2007 12:41 PM

You need to set the camera's firewire output to standard DV mode instead of HDV. I have a Z1, but suspect it's similar on your camera. You should turn on i.LINK CONV in the menus (it's on the IN-OUT REC menu on my Z1). That will downconvert your HDV footage to DV as it plays back on the camera.

Does your camera have s-video output? If so then that's another option for feeding your DVD recorder, but firewire (i.Link) would be digital and higher quality if your recorder supports it.

Kevin Carter May 11th, 2007 09:08 PM

I have HDR-HC3. I think it's set on some auto to go either HD or Standard. I dub for instance to other decks with standard tape. I set i link to on . Did not help. any other ideas appreciated. the manual is a mess. anyone who knows this camera I would love to hear from

Boyd Ostroff May 12th, 2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Carter (Post 677682)
I have HDR-HC3. I think it's set on some auto to go either HD or Standard.

The setting for record format shouldn't matter. But you need to have i.LINK CONV turned on if you're capturing regular DV from an HDV tape. When you play the tape, does it show up on the camera's LCD screen?

Can you capture regular DV on your computer via firewire? Can your DVD recorder capture DV from another camera via firewire? Have you tried a different firewire cable?

Kevin Carter May 12th, 2007 03:29 PM

yes Boyd, it shows on the LCD, and i link is on. but still can't see picture on the TV screen. Yes I've been doing camera to camera backups, so think cord is Ok. anywher in manual go over this?

Kevin Carter May 15th, 2007 10:05 AM

this is an answer I just got from another forum, can anyone verify this?

"The DV input on U.S. DVD recorders require the source video to be DV 720x480 480i in format. If you are shooting HD video then the DVD recorder cannot accept this. I don't know if your camcorder has an s-video output but if it does then you may be able to transfer the video that way because s-video is standard definition. "

( the sony hdr- hc3 does not have S out)

Dave Blackhurst May 15th, 2007 11:43 AM

Hi Kevin -

Used to have a 3, let's see if I can figure this out for you.

what connection to the DVD recorder are you trying to use?

If firewire, there's a setting in the camcorder you need to change so that the firewire output is SD not HD - dig around in the touchscreen menus - I think it's called "i-link conv"... once you set that the camera downrezes for you to std DV (480i) instead of HDV, and should be acknowledged on your device input.

If component (R/G/B), not sure if the camera can downrez that output...

If composite (R/W/Y), you should be OK (I thought the composite would only be 480...?), and there is a cable available with S-vid , although I think the one that shipped with the camera didn't have that, only the audio L/R and composite. You can find the one with Svid on FleaBay for under $20.

So there's the three options for output from the camera - one of 'em ought to work! Firewire I would think would be the best?

DB>)

Boyd Ostroff May 15th, 2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Carter (Post 679685)
The DV input on U.S. DVD recorders require the source video to be DV 720x480 480i in format.

This is correct, and it's why I asked if you have i.LINK CONV activated on your camera. That will downconvert your 1920x1080 HD video to 720x480 for the recorder.

Since I don't have an HC3 I don't know whether it has this option, but I'm pretty sure it does. Have a look in your manual.

Kevin Carter May 21st, 2007 01:56 PM

Ok , think got it going. now question:
Why do I not want to leave i link on?

Kevin Carter May 21st, 2007 02:59 PM

Also, going, but picture on TV looks kind of distorted

Adam Gold May 22nd, 2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Carter (Post 683205)
Why do I not want to leave i link on?

If you never plan on capturing HDV to a computer or dubbing HDV to another cam, you can leave it on.

Pages 74-77 of the manual are pretty comprehensive about dubbing to devices and which cables and settings to use, and as noted above, with the right cable the HC3 will output S-Vid via the a/v jack.

How did you get it going? And how is the picture distorted?

Boyd Ostroff May 22nd, 2007 01:37 PM

My guess would be that the "distortion" is just normal anamorphic 16:9 viewed on a 4:3 TV. If you want to watch your 16:9 footage on a 4:3 TV you will need to burn an anamorphic DVD. My Sony DVD recorder can do this but I gather that the cheaper ones cannot.

Look through the menus and it would be under a heading like "record mode". You need to set the recorder for 16:9 if possible. If you can do this then the DVD's you burn will automatically be letterboxed when playing back on a 4:3 TV. Note that this is a different setting from the "screen size" menu which tells the DVD recorder what kind of TV it's connected to. That setting only affects playback. You need a setting to control the way the DVD is recorded.

If your DVD recorder can't do this then you're probably just out of luck, everything will look too tall and skinny on a 4:3 TV but will be correct on a 16:9 TV.

Kevin Carter May 22nd, 2007 06:07 PM

Adam, I just got it going by noting, from manual, need to unplug cord and then turn on ilink.

Picture is distorted, faces long, but that may be TV no?

"If you never plan on capturing HDV to a computer or dubbing HDV to another cam, you can leave it on."

But it's not like you need to have it on , correct, to capture to computer or dub to another camcorder.? In fact I do plan on backing up tapes with both those methods. is ilink a part of that equation? I thought it's just for DVD recorders. And WHEN would you want to turn it off?

Boyd: what you says makes sense. Do you know if my RDR-GX330 can do this? thanks -- same questions to Adam to you

Dave Blackhurst May 22nd, 2007 08:36 PM

Kevin -

i-link is Sony's term for "firewire" or 1394 or...

I is used for transferring video to your computer - if you want to edit HD instead of SD, the camera nees to be set to not downconvert - your DVD recorder doesn't have the software to interpret the HDV signals when the i-link is not downconverting, thus why you have to change the camera.

As for everyone looking tall and skinny, you're set to 16:9 output on a 4:3 screen - I think there's a menu setting to change that on the camera as well so you'll get a letterboxed output (like regular WS DVD's) on the 4:3 TV. Dig around in the menus - i remember seeing it somewhere on one of my cameras, and it seems like most of the Sony menus have similar if not identical settings.

I am guessing you're not one for manuals... I suggest you poke around the menus a bit (just hit the p-menu button on the touchcreen, then the menu button and then scroll around...) when you have time, and if you see something you don't understand, then consult the manual... these cameras aren't too tough to master <wink>!

DB>)

Boyd Ostroff May 22nd, 2007 08:46 PM

Kevin, that sounds like a Sony model number. I have an older model, the RDR-GX7. If the menu structure is similar, here's how to set it on my recorder. Press the TOOLS button on the remote and scroll to REC SETTINGS. Set REC SCREEN SIZE to 16:9 and press RETURN.

If all else fails, RTFM as Dave suggests :-)