DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/)
-   -   HVR-A1 peaking (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1-hdr-hc-series/94595-hvr-a1-peaking.html)

Duane Burleson May 21st, 2007 02:07 PM

HVR-A1 peaking

When this camera has peaking turned on, does this appear in the viewfinder, LCD or both?

Thanks,

Duane

Victor Wilcox May 21st, 2007 07:30 PM

A1U Peaking

It appears to display in both. I've been using my A1U since November, and have had no success using peeking. Maybe it's me, but I've found very few instances where I could see peeking. I've tried all color variations with no usable results. Disappointing, since I could realy use the help focusing. Although I dream of a FX7 or V1U, I'm pleased with the results I've obtained in good lighting. I use it to shoot weddings, so it's a big challenge at the reception, even with an on camera light.

Darren Cole May 22nd, 2007 08:36 PM

I have an AIU. what is the peaking setting used for. I have never used it before but just seeing if it is something that would help or not.

Victor Wilcox May 24th, 2007 05:57 PM

Peeking is a focus aid. I creates a colored border (white, red or yellow) around items which are in focus. I've found it difficult to see (you need the right color for the background), but I'm starting to get the hang of it. You need an edge with good contrast. If you can't stop recording, to use expanded focus, it can help with manual focus in a pitch. I haven't used it enough to have confidence in it yet. I'll continue to experiment.

Duane Burleson May 27th, 2007 01:59 PM

Thanks much for your replies.

To continue, I understand that the A1 can set the viewfinder to black and white, have any of you tried peaking with it set this way? Does it work better when set to black and white.

To continue viewfinder questions, can expand focus be used when the camera is recording or only when the camera is in standby? The way I'm understanding the manual expand focus is only available in standby mode. I hope not.

Also, expand focus is available on the HC1 but peaking is not, correct?

Duane

John McManimie May 27th, 2007 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Burleson (Post 687266)
Thanks much for your replies.

Also, expand focus is available on the HC1 but peaking is not, correct?

Duane

There is a peaking function available on ther HDR-HC1 (during expanded focus press SET and ON to show peaking). It isn't as extensive as the peaking function on the HVR-A1U.

Victor Wilcox May 27th, 2007 04:29 PM

Unfortunately, expanded focus only works in standby.

I've never used the view finder in b/w.

Darren Cole May 28th, 2007 09:56 AM

oh thanks for letting me know whats up. I will have to play around with that setting next time I am using my cam.

Duane Burleson May 28th, 2007 12:38 PM

I was just wondering whether the peaking stood out more if the viewfinder was in black and white.

Duane