HVR-A1 peaking at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR-A1 peaking

When this camera has peaking turned on, does this appear in the viewfinder, LCD or both?

Thanks,

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Major Player

A1U Peaking

It appears to display in both. I've been using my A1U since November, and have had no success using peeking. Maybe it's me, but I've found very few instances where I could see peeking. I've tried all color variations with no usable results. Disappointing, since I could realy use the help focusing. Although I dream of a FX7 or V1U, I'm pleased with the results I've obtained in good lighting. I use it to shoot weddings, so it's a big challenge at the reception, even with an on camera light.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have an AIU. what is the peaking setting used for. I have never used it before but just seeing if it is something that would help or not.
Darren Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Peeking is a focus aid. I creates a colored border (white, red or yellow) around items which are in focus. I've found it difficult to see (you need the right color for the background), but I'm starting to get the hang of it. You need an edge with good contrast. If you can't stop recording, to use expanded focus, it can help with manual focus in a pitch. I haven't used it enough to have confidence in it yet. I'll continue to experiment.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks much for your replies.

To continue, I understand that the A1 can set the viewfinder to black and white, have any of you tried peaking with it set this way? Does it work better when set to black and white.

To continue viewfinder questions, can expand focus be used when the camera is recording or only when the camera is in standby? The way I'm understanding the manual expand focus is only available in standby mode. I hope not.

Also, expand focus is available on the HC1 but peaking is not, correct?

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Burleson View Post
Thanks much for your replies.

Also, expand focus is available on the HC1 but peaking is not, correct?

Duane
There is a peaking function available on ther HDR-HC1 (during expanded focus press SET and ON to show peaking). It isn't as extensive as the peaking function on the HVR-A1U.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Unfortunately, expanded focus only works in standby.

I've never used the view finder in b/w.
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

oh thanks for letting me know whats up. I will have to play around with that setting next time I am using my cam.
Darren Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I was just wondering whether the peaking stood out more if the viewfinder was in black and white.

Duane
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series