A1 to Component Adaptor to Intensity? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

A1 to Component Adaptor to Intensity?

OK. This may sound a bit convoluted so please bear with me...

Can I output from my Sony A1U via the component outputs to a component to HDMI adapter and run that through a Black Magic intensity card to avoid the problems associated with HD compression and long GOPs?
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Major Player

You shouldn't need a component to HDMI converter, you won't need it if you spend the extra $100 on the Intensity Pro.

Whether it looks any better is a different question, I haven't seen anyone do a comparison. Assuming that you are recording directly rather than playing it through tape, you would be trading your MPEG2 / long GOP issues with digital to analog to digital conversion losses. I really don't know which is the bigger bogeyman in this case.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Interesting point. I know the component out from the A1U looks great and doesn't have the artifacting issues, but I don't know anyone who has actually converted back to digital, so I was hopingsomeone might have had some experience with that.
I was unaware that the Intensity Pro has component inputs. Thanks!

BTW - Are you still making the shims to help with the bottom loading issue with the A1U?
Frank Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Howard View Post
I was unaware that the Intensity Pro has component inputs. Thanks!
I suppose that wasn't a major announcement, but it was introduced at this year's NAB expo.

Quote:
BTW - Are you still making the shims to help with the bottom loading issue with the A1U?
Yes I am, among other things. If you are interested, please click my name to the left and click the third item down to "visit my home page". That will take you to my web store. Thank you.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I have a feeling I will be sending off for one soon, since I'm getting near the end of my script (I hope).

Also, I found this thread talking about the Intensity using Cineform to keep things more manageable: http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=94079&page=3

So that thread appears to answers the question.

Here's a quote from a person who did some rather extensive testing using the Intensity with an HV20:
"The difference between NEOHD and NEOHDV at 10 feet away on any size home theater just isn't there, and NEOHDV kills HDV."
Frank Howard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series