OIS "settings" - Tele, WA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old May 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #1
Trustee

OIS "settings" - Tele, WA

I was trying to figure out what the advantage of the setting for optional lenses was last night. Reading the manual, it says that the setting for Telephoto or Wide Angle adjusts the stabilization feature to suit add-on lenses. Hmmm...

Has anyone experimented with it yet? I would suspect that the Telephoto setting would make it more sensitive and wide-angle would try to optimize to avoid the tripod effect with a "sticky" pan. But I am guessing. Does anyone know?

Since some of the time, my camera is going to be a helmet cam, the Telephoto setting might be good for the shot, even with a Wide Angle. I would need a more aggressive OIS. But I could be wrong.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I've thought similarly, so I tried it out, but didn't notice any difference (no noticeable difference with the settings).
Alex Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Major Player

EIS as opposed to OIS systems, often apply a faster shutter when satabilisation is set. I think because the resulting blurr (not the motion!) is potentially higher at tele than at wide, the shutterpeed is being adapted as a function of the applied convertors. Difficult to verify with these rolling shutters..
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Guys -
I thought the wide and tele lens settings were primarily to adapt the focus... don't know where I got that impression, maybe the HC1? I know the cam seems to focus faster with an adapter and the menu set...

Guess I've got to go RTFM again... hate it when that happens, I'd rather just push buttons!! I can see where adjustment of the OIS would be helpful though, so will have to fiddle with that some!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Major Player

The manual for HC3 clearly explains that these selections are for optimal compensation for camera shakes. I don't think focus is involved here.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Major Player

That's true for the A1U as well, I changes stablization. I wish it would ajust for focus. It really sucks, not being able to use infinite focus with a tele lens.
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

With a wide converter lens I did notice that at full wide zoom that the picture was considerably more stable.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series