Rode Videomic with HC7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Rode Videomic with HC7

Anyone using the HC7 with a Rode Videomic? I assume I would need a shoe adapter to mount the mic to the HC7. How's the audio? Does the Videomic pickup any camera noise? I'm considering purchasing the HC7 and I already own the Videomic. Thanks.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Bump. Anybody?
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi again - don't have the Rode, use the HGZ1, seems fine. You will need an adapter, either the DeMaggd (sorry if I mangled the name, he posts here) for the ais shoe, or a flash bracket - use a flash bracket to mount accessories myself - posted a pic of my fully loaded rig a while back.

People with the HV20 seem to like the Rode (and after hearing how awful the internal mics on that cam are I guess I'm in the market for an outboard mic). By comparison the HC7 internal mics sound nice (and you don't get all the shell noise), and I'd expect the Rode would work great.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dave. I'm also assuming it will work fine but it doesn't hurt to ask. And I'm familiar with the shoe adapters and brackets from other threads that I've read. Maybe nobody here uses the Rode because they're satisfied with the internal mic.
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Don't know about "satisfied" - internal mics are typically "adequate" for consumer use and if you know how to tweak in post MAYBE a bit more. I'm pretty sure the HC7 audio is usable in general compared to the HV20.

I know what I hear from the headphones on the HV20 ain't pretty, hoping when I capture it isn't as bad - the handling noise is the worst there, especially with the build quality - don't think I've owned another cam with as many squeaks, clatters, clacks, and other odd noises... not to mention the mech whine... figure I'll be using wireless on this cam unless or until I get an offboard mic. One of the first things I did was to pad the battery so it didn't knock around... but some of these other noises are going to be more of a problem!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree, which is why I've been using the Rode for the past few years. I sure am glad I didn't let the "deal" on the HV20 persuade me to make the purchase the other night. It was selling for around $780.
David Jasany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series