HC1 stopped working, need help or service manual at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series
Sony's latest single-CMOS additions to their HDV camcorder line.

Old July 16th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HC1 stopped working, need help or service manual

Well I was shooting with my V1U and HC1 this past weekend. The weather was nice and I was outside in the sun with both cameras. I had my HC1 on a tripod and started to record for about 30 minutes. I started the camera up and then walked away. When I came back the camera was off and the body was relatively hot (due to the sun or heat from the camera itself I don't know).

It will now not turn on or eject the tape. I tried replacing batteries and hooking up to the power plug. No luck. The camera seems to be totally dead.

Any suggestions?

Also, is there a service or repair manual available for download. I need to know how to get the tape out of the camera. I guess I'll have to disassemble the camera. Has anyone done this? Any help would be most appreciated.
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Why don't you send it to Sony for repair?
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Because I would like to get the tape out of the camera before I send it for service. If I send it like it is, they have the tape and I don't. It has video on it that i need for a project.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

John - any chance you've tried the reset button? It's probably of little hope, but thought I'd mention it. If the cam's totally dead, you're going to have a tough time ejecting the tape at all.

You might see about the HC7 service manual - it was posted online for a while at Sony - PM me if it's not still up, I've got a .pdf copy I can send you if your inbox can handle it. IIRC it has the procedure for tape eject if the mech becomes stuck, and they might be similar. I believe there is a small mechanical lever in the carriage that will cause it to eject, but it may also need power, in which case you're still rather stuck...

HTH...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Reset button didn't work. I too have found the HC3/5/7 manual. Hopefully the disassembly is similar for the HC1.
Old July 18th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #6
Trustee

If it is not under warranty, I would send it to Mackcamera - they are cheaper than Sony. They might be able to get the tape out for you as well.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
If it is not under warranty, I would send it to Mackcamera - they are cheaper than Sony. They might be able to get the tape out for you as well.
Do you remember of anyone has reported any costs for fixing a C:31:40 error, for either place? My HC1 is really sluggish about ejecting a tape and the machine noises sounds like it doesn't fully load it either. The machine asks me to reinsert the tape.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8
Trustee

I don't know the prices. They don't tell you until they look at it. To fix my firewire (new board I assume), it was $225.00 plus the estimate $45 and shipping. Still under $300 and cheaper than buying a new one.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd View Post
Do you remember of anyone has reported any costs for fixing a C:31:40 error, for either place? My HC1 is really sluggish about ejecting a tape and the machine noises sounds like it doesn't fully load it either. The machine asks me to reinsert the tape.
I know this thread is old but my HC-1 just started having the same problem. I was wondering if you've been able to fix it.

Thanks,
Peter
Peter Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Trustee

Try spanking the camera! Really!

If you search on that error you'll find a bunch of happy folks who did things along the line of "I hit the bottom of the camera 4 times with a flat hand and now it works again".

As with all things in life however, spanking doesn't work for all cameras. Good luck!
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM   #11
New Boot

Trouble starts with my HC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Chung View Post
I know this thread is old but my HC-1 just started having the same problem. I was wondering if you've been able to fix it.

Thanks,
Peter
I am not having the same trouble with mine ... It is more a problem of not having good resolution on large panoramic picture. I have reviewed video that I took with it when I bought it, it was crisp, clean and pretty good considering the size of the chip and being a single one at it. Now I look at all the large one and something is fuzzy and I am not panning the camera, it is fix on a good tripod. Up close the picture is very good but as soon as I zoom out, it is not very good ... could it be a problem of back focus and is there a good place in Montreal or Toronto to send for verification and repair.
Thanks everyone and I am happy I found this forum, it is absolutly fabulous and full of info. I have tried to read every post before asking, I hope I did not miss the one giving me an answer ....

Andre
Andre Bisson II is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-A1 and HDR-HC Series