XLRs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old December 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #1
New Boot

XLRs?

I have read some of this thread but not trawled through all of it.

I run film making workshops with kids and this camera would be ideal. Big and chunky with a profesional shape.

Has it been determined whether or not the camera has XLR inputs cos if it does that would be a treal swinger for me.
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

"Search This Forum: XLR: Show Posts" returns six hits.

The answer is no, it does not have XLR inputs (but you can add a third-party XLR adapter).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #3
Trustee

If you don’t mind waiting, you can get yourself the Panasonic AG-HMC70 for 1200 dollars but it does lack a focusing ring. You just have to think about what’s more important, a camera that has XLR inputs or a camera that has a traditional focusing ring. Apparently you can’t have both. NAB is in a few months by the way so maybe you’ll see something their. If not, the XH-A1 might cost 2,500 to 3000 dollars by that time.

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; December 14th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2008, 11:16 PM   #4
New Boot

My opinion is that you can have a third-party XLR adapter, as Chris stated... and you simple can't add a third-party focus ring... :)

BTW, which XLR adpater would you guys suggest? I'm over Brazil, so it would be good if I can find it over ebay or B&H...

Thanks
Tiago Cardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago Cardoso View Post
My opinion is that you can have a third-party XLR adapter, as Chris stated... and you simple can't add a third-party focus ring... :)

BTW, which XLR adpater would you guys suggest? I'm over Brazil, so it would be good if I can find it over ebay or B&H...

Thanks
Buy a beachtek or even better as for me a Azden FME20 mixer with unbalance RCA out to the camera. It works fine.
Damien Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Please be aware that the XLR adapters available are not designed to work well with the shoulder rest. The volume controls hit your shoulder or get moved by your clothing. If someone manufactures a version with the volume controls on the side I'm not aware.

If you are using a tripod there's no problem.
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I wonder if there's a way to mount the adapter on one of the cold shoes. It has two, right?

Maybe something like these?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_4_20_to.html
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
I wonder if there's a way to mount the adapter on one of the cold shoes. It has two, right?

Maybe something like these?:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Adapter.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...1_4_20_to.html
That might just do the job. I'm not sure about XLR cables hanging from the top of the camera. Maybe some velcro ties.
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:52 AM   #9
New Boot

Adam, that was just what I was thinking about as, like William said, no way having cables and adapters "flying all around". But well, this might cost some bucks for me as, living in Brazil, I would spend almost half of this value in taxes. Maybe I will go for something simple like a homemade A/B box... I'll just write about it as I try to build one - maybe I should say, ask a friend of mine that is expert in electronics, to build one for me, one that I could use a velcro or put it into the back cold shoe.

Thanks you guys!
Tiago Cardoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Please be aware that the XLR adapters available are not designed to work well with the shoulder rest. The volume controls hit your shoulder or get moved by your clothing. If someone manufactures a version with the volume controls on the side I'm not aware.

If you are using a tripod there's no problem.
I was just about to ask which adapter would work the best with the HD1000. I saw that Beachtek recommends the DXA-2, but will that work with a shoulder pad? I already use the 2 available shoe mounts for a light and wireless microphone receiver. Something like the following would work also for mounting the XLR adapter along with wireless receiver.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...and_Sound.html
Cory Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes, that's what Beachtek recommends but it seems to have the same problem. If you could reverse mount the adapter so the controls are at the front, it would be better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000