First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old January 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Screen Grabs from the HD1000

These are some screen grabs from the HD1000 for your perusal.

Everything is handheld with the camera in automatic except for the shutter which is set at 1/30. This has the effect of making stills a bit blurrier so don't take take that against the camera. Something you might take against the camera is illustrated between the shots "Gallery" and "Hanging Pictures". This is how the camera interpreted the white balance before and after going outside for some shots. At the time I wasn't sure if there was a difference so I didn't force the camera into manual WB but I did make sure the camera was in auto white balance. I have no explanation except that the gallery was illuminated by fluorescent.

The gentleman in the pictures is Ron Diorio, a photo artist. His work can be seen at www.rondiorio.com.
Attached Thumbnails
First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000-gallery-10.jpg   First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000-hanging-pictures-3.jpg  

First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000-outside-8.jpg   First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000-outside-7.jpg  

First shoot, first impressions for HVR-HD1000-outside-6..jpg  

Last edited by William Hohauser; January 10th, 2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Photography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
These are some screen grabs from the HD1000 for your perusal.

Everything is handheld with the camera in automatic except for the shutter which is set at 1/30. This has the effect of making stills a bit blurrier so don't take take that against the camera. Something you might take against the camera is illustrated between the shots "Gallery" and "Hanging Pictures". This is how the camera interpreted the white balance before and after going outside for some shots. At the time I wasn't sure if there was a difference so I didn't force the camera into manual WB but I did make sure the camera was in auto white balance. I have no explanation except that the gallery was illuminated by fluorescent.

The gentleman in the pictures is Ron Diorio, a photo artist. His work can be seen at www.rondiorio.com.
I'm just curious why all the attention on taking photos with a Video Cam. Am I missing something here?
Johnnie Caraballo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #48
Inner Circle

The stills are from video clips that are part of a short promotional piece. The posted stills are for inquisitive people to make a judgement about the image quality and performance of the camera. There's no reason yet to post clips but as I do more work that's not someone else's property I might post them if they show something extraordinary about the camera.
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
Flimsy, no.

After a couple of hours of it on my shoulder, slightly uncomfortable. The padding is rather hard. The shoulder rest is adjustable but you need a screw driver to do it.
Thank you!
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #50
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Toope View Post
The camera itself has some actual weight to it, which is good. I think for the price tag its better then what I would have expected. In regards to the ring, you can use it and say the spot focus at the same time. Actually the spot focus works quite nice as long as you are on a tripod so that you can keep the camera steady.
Thank you very much Greg for your explanations. Your video on the gain, demonstrates the capabilities in this area.

Please Greg, what are the differences in video quality between HD1000 (1 CMOS 1/3) and FX7 (3 CMOS 1/4). Thank you

Daniel
Daniel Rabranque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #51
Regular Crew

That I couldnt tell you as I do not have an FX7. But the HD1000 seems to use the exact same video insides as the HC7 and A1U. Im hopefully going to take the camera out this Sunday or Monday to do some outdoor shooting with it. So Ill post as soon as I get them. All depends on the weather.
Greg Toope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Do you think the footage from the HD1000 will mix well with the Canon HV20? Also anyone try Impact batteries for it? Any other suggestions for accessories (bag, light etc)?
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Rabranque View Post
Thank you very much Greg for your explanations. Your video on the gain, demonstrates the capabilities in this area.

Please Greg, what are the differences in video quality between HD1000 (1 CMOS 1/3) and FX7 (3 CMOS 1/4). Thank you

Daniel
Sorry to dominate the discussion here but I did a four camera shoot with the FX7 last month. The differences are in a noticable improvement in color reproduction and overall image sparkle for the FX7 but that's to be expected from a 3-chip camera. The FX7 also has a much better set of on camera functions as well as the balanced audio inputs. However the HD1000 is good in low-light for an HDV camera, it has a built in should pad and much better weight distribution.

But all said, you can take the two different cameras, shoot wisely, and with a little post color correction get to the point where the average viewer would have no idea that you were using two different types of camera. I succeeded using a JVC HD-100 and the Sony HD1000. The different recording codecs were a bigger problem!

So would I choose a FX7 over a HD1000? If money was flowing freely, yes. Would I pick the single CMOS chip Sony HVR-A1 over the HD1000? Not for the price difference Sony wants. The difficulties with the HD1000 are not enough to warrant purchasing the A1 with it's better on-camera controls. The A1 apparently has a better lens although and balanced audio inputs.
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #54
Regular Crew

glad to hear it is good in low light. =) do you have any sample to show in low light conditions? thanks william!
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #55
New Boot

Greg and William Thank you for your responses.

In France, the HD1000 has a big price : 2100€ (3100 $). In England (on the Internet), the FX7 has a price : 2100€ (the same as HD1000).
In such condition, it is obvious that I choose FX7.

I have reviewed the manual HD1000. It has more than 110 pages, while 10 suffice!
The HD1000, has no function "manuel" except one : the ring. The HD1000 is a camcorder from beginner (= HC7) and not professional. Its only advantage is to be shoulder.

I think the cam shoulder is a good thing. Sony will be released, early 2009, camcorder FX7 shoulder with 3CMOS 1/3 at a price : 3500€.

Daniel
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #56
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Rabranque View Post
Greg and William Thank you for your responses.

In France, the HD1000 has a big price : 2100€ (3100 $). In England (on the Internet), the FX7 has a price : 2100€ (the same as HD1000).
In such condition, it is obvious that I choose FX7.

I have reviewed the manual HD1000. It has more than 110 pages, while 10 suffice!
The HD1000, has no function "manuel" except one : the ring. The HD1000 is a camcorder from beginner (= HC7) and not professional. Its only advantage is to be shoulder.

I think the cam shoulder is a good thing. Sony will be released, early 2009, camcorder FX7 shoulder with 3CMOS 1/3 at a price : 3500€.

Daniel
All you write is correct. "Professional" is a matter of specifics you need for your work. Quite frankly the image the HD1000 produces would have been considered "professional" 5 years ago. The camera controls are not what I would like (one more lens ring and an exposure button would have been good) but considering the reasonable price, it's fine.

The price in France for this camera is ridiculous. It should be roughly 50% more expensive than the HC7 as it is here in the US ($999 vs. $1599).
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Well I did some more shooting with the camera today. Did some shots of the falls/rapids in our area. Thought it would be a good test for the camera. Also tried out the in camera slow motion feature. Sure it's more of a gimmick but at least you can see what its doing.

http://www.vimeo.com/606162
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #58
New Boot

William Thanks for your answers.
Greg, I look and look your tests. Thank you very much. Too bad, I do not understand when you speak, fortunately your clips were sufficiently explicit.

I found the test "Outdoor test at Park in Ottawa, Ontario" had many defects sharpness (lack of depth of field) and other failures which I do not know the name. Does it flashplayer9 (I have the latest version for sure) or HD1000U ?

Is it possible to load the rush original HD "Outdoor test at Park in Ottawa, Ontario" without loss, to see exactly what happens? If yes, how? Thank very much you Greg.
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #59
Regular Crew

On vimeo it is a condition of the codec that makes the image pixelate ( i think i spelled that correctly ). Also that site doesnt allow for the original file type to be uploaded as it comes back with an error when i try (original is a .mov 1280x720 24p file format). I end up compressing to an m4v format which I use as the upload version. This file type is also used so that people can play the video back via their Xbox360 and or AppleTV.
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #60
Regular Crew

HVR-1000U And DR60 Hard Drive

Does anyone if they work in Tapeless mode together ?
Sara Jourhmane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000