Sony HVR-HD100 VS GY-HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old March 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony HVR-HD100 VS GY-HD100

I own 2 GY-HD100's I do weddings I am kinda dissapointed with my decision to get those cameras because of 2 things 1. The low light capabilitys 2. It seems like I put myself in a very limited line with lack deck options and such. plus my Firewire ports died on both my cameras and I find myself needing a deck. Before I go any deeper into the JVC line I wondered how the HVR-HD 1000 compared to the JVC are the pictures the close? is the low light performance the same? for the price of a deck it may be worth it for me to sell my GY-HD100s and get a couple Sony HVR-HD1000s.

Thanks
Randy
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I own 2 GY-HD100's I do weddings I am kinda dissapointed with my decision to get those cameras because of 2 things 1. The low light capabilitys 2. It seems like I put myself in a very limited line with lack deck options and such. plus my Firewire ports died on both my cameras and I find myself needing a deck. Before I go any deeper into the JVC line I wondered how the HVR-HD 1000 compared to the JVC are the pictures the close? is the low light performance the same? for the price of a deck it may be worth it for me to sell my GY-HD100s and get a couple Sony HVR-HD1000s.

Thanks
Randy
The Sony hd1000 is a good camera, but it doesn't compare to the HD100. The Sony camera is an entry prosumer camera costing under $2k. The HD100 is a high end prosumer camera which cost above $4k. The low light performance is about the same; however, the Sony has a 10x lens to the JVC's 16x. Not to mention that you have lots more control with the JVC hd100. Heck, you cannot even select the gain on the hd1000. If you want a cheap replacement for you hd100, you are not going to find it.

JVC HD100 advantages over Sony hd1000:
Three Sensors
Manual 16x lens
2 built in ND Filters
24P
Selectable Gain
More custom adjustments
XLR audio Jacks

Possible advantages of Sony hd1000 over JVC hd100:
Price
Battery Life
OIS - Optical Image Stabilization
Sony's Nightshot and Super Nightshot (Shoot in extreme low light but at a cost of grainy, colorless images)

When it comes to under $5k high end prosumer shoulder mount high definition cameras, there's nothing currently out except JVC gy hd100 and now the hd110.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The two cameras share very little in common (aside from being shoulder mount cameras).

The GY-HD100 records 720 lines, progressive footage only (24p or 30p), while the HVR-HD1000 records 1080 lines, interlaced footage only (60i - with no progressive modes available). Both are technically HDV, but I don't think there is any device out there that can actually read tapes shot with both cameras.

The GY-HD100 is a very manually controlled camera. The HVR-HD1000 has about about as much manual control available as a consumer camcorder.

I haven't shot with either camera, but I would be really surprised if the HVR-HD1000's single 1/3" CMOS sensor could perform nearly as well as the GY-HD100's three 1/3" CCD sensors, in low light.

If you want to switch to using another camera that would be a somewhat less drastic change, but produce tapes compatible with many other cameras and decks, you might consider the Canon XH-A1.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Trustee

Great thanks for the info. Im just a little frustrated my firewire ports died on my 100s and it going to cost about $1,500 each to fix(the price I could get a sony HVR-HD1000 for) plus the only deck solution for the 100 is the $2,500 deck JVC has, sony has alot more options. I guess i'll just ride the JVC train out.
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You might want to check out this thread, for another possible repair option:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=112792
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks for the link, I found a couple places that said they could fix it for about $600 or so but now its kinda tough call. $1,200 to fix both my camcorders or just put out $2,500 and get a deck and not have to worry about getting them fixed. I think I need to see the way JVC is going at NAB something tells me there going to try and get rid of tape somehow.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You might also consider the possibility of picking up a used HD1 or HD10 to use as a capture deck.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Trustee

HD1 ? HD10? what are they?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:

Thanks
Randy
Considering that I did a two camera shoot with both of these cameras, I crown myself able to answer your questions reasonably well.

First off the HD100 has a more robust image compared to the HD1000 but that's due to the differences between 3 chip and one chip cameras. However, the HD1000 has modestly better low light capabilities but that is also due to the differences between 3 chip and one chip cameras.

The overall quality differences are noticeable to me but possibly not to your clients or for your work. If you are used to the control the HD100 gives you while shooting, the HD1000 will be frustrating as it's a consumer HDV camera in an altered body. The lack of balanced XLR mike inputs may be a problem. The HD100s are great cameras despite the problems. The HD1000s are very good cameras despite their limitations.

The two cameras actually mixed together very well during the edit. I had to boost the chroma and do some video level adjustments on the HD1000 footage to get it looking good next to the HD100. I kept the HD1000 on close-ups since the single chip has a harsher image with details.
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks for the response William thats just what I was looking for.

Randy
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
The HD1 and HD10 were JVC's first HDV camcorders.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=74 for more info than you could possibly want to know.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #13
Trustee

Can you still get these cameras? Possibly to use a HDV deck for capturing?
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #14
Inner Circle

They can be found used now and then. I have an HD10U that I will probably sell sometime this year.
Old March 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yeah the hd1u and hd10u were decent cameras. I have an hd1u which will probably see its end of use fairly soon, as its sole purpose now is as a deck for my old 720p footage.
Greg Toope is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000