Tripod for the HD1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old March 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tripod for the HD1000

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced tripod for the HD1000. The basic Velbon I have does not cut it. Would like to also have LANC controls.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What do you consider reasonably priced? Because of its size and weight, I got a duplicate of the rig I use for my FX1: Manfrotto 3046/3246 legs, 503HDV head, 3502 Ball leveler, 523Pro Lanc remote pan bar. About $1K from B&H. Plus a few bucks direct to Bogen for extra mounting hardware to put the stock pan bar on the left.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
What do you consider reasonably priced?
Was hopping to try and get something in the $200 to $300 range, but don't know if it is possible.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think that might be hard to find for a cam the size of the HD1000. I think the one Sony tries to sell you on for it is about $1200, and I doubt it's all that good.
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

i use the Manfrotto 190XDB set of Legs with the 128RC head. Its nothing fancy but for the price they work pretty well. Plus the legs are nice and light so they are nice for carrying around.
Greg Toope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
What do you consider reasonably priced? Because of its size and weight, I got a duplicate of the rig I use for my FX1: Manfrotto 3046/3246 legs, 503HDV head, 3502 Ball leveler, 523Pro Lanc remote pan bar. About $1K from B&H. Plus a few bucks direct to Bogen for extra mounting hardware to put the stock pan bar on the left.
Well its nice that you have that gear
But why would anyone buy a cheap camcorder and than a pro tripod which costs more than half the price of the camera

Its rather big, but still..
Old March 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Major Player

How much does that puppy weigh? I don't know whether this is good advice or not but,

I'm a big fan of the Libec TH-20. I've got an expensive Satchler but I almost prefer using the Libec. (Actually, that was because the S. wasn't broken in. A friend has taken care of that for me.)

Is it as good as the Satchler? No. But considering the price, it does a heck of a job.

After about 7 years, the Libec mounting plate has developed a wiggle. I wrapped some 88 around it and its fine.
Old March 10th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Geevels View Post
But why would anyone buy a cheap camcorder and than a pro tripod which costs more than half the price of the camera.
It's irrelevant how much the camera and tripod cost when you're talking about physics and functionality. The camera -- or more importantly, gravity or the breeze -- doesn't know or care how much it or the tripod cost. It's big and heavier than most cams and needs more support than an HC7, for which the Manfrotto is obviously silly overkill, even though it's the same inside as the HD1000U.

And I wouldn't consider my Manfrotto rigs "pro" level. You should hear the derisive comments elsewhere on this board about how my rig is a "toy"...

I've used small tripods and for cams of this size (or even FX1 size) they just aren't stable enough, even without the center column extended. You'll get a lot of vibration even in the slightest breeze. You should see the ones B&H recommends for the similarly sized DSR-250 -- a $3K Cartoni!

That being said, the Libec and the smaller Manfrotto look like pretty good bargains. Just don't expect a lot. HDV is very unforgiving of even the slightest wobble.
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I am on a budget so will have to work with what I can get. Thinking of one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eo_Tripod.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ge_Tripod.html

Or doing a Manfrotto combo. Comments/Suggestions?
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

To be honest with you they all look fine but I like the look of the Davis & Sanford. It just looks beefier, and the two-handled head will come in handy with the HD1000.

Plus it comes with a dolly... very cool.
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I am on a budget so will have to work with what I can get. Thinking of one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eo_Tripod.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ge_Tripod.html

Or doing a Manfrotto combo. Comments/Suggestions?
Out of the three you mentioned, the Libec (TH20) appears to be the best, but its fluid head is not very good. If the Impact's head (said to be very smooth) is available and is 65mm claw ball, then the libec legs (unfortunately, the Impact's legs are not built very good) with the Impact head would be best.

I know the Sanford and Davis tripod looks beefy, but I have heard horror stories about this tripod - broken screws, leg locks stripped after only a few uses, head screws breaking, etc. I heard the company is good as far as replacing and fixing the defects of its product, but if your tripod has to often be sent out to be serviced, I don't know how much fun it is not to have a working tripod when you need it. This doesn't sound like a very reliable tripod system to me.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #12
New Boot

wot about Sony VCT-870RM

I'm about to get a hd1000 in the next week or so and I'm also having dilemmas about the tripod. Finance rules out the possibility of getting a top range tripod and I cant afford more than 200 dollars ( I may live in england but tend to find i can save a fortune using B&Hphoto). I have been using a Sony VCT-870RM for my HC1 - only 129 dollars, very smooth pan, great zoom using the LANC handle, get a reasonable case for the tripod and lightweight. The lightness can be a problem if you knock it with your knees. The big question is am I fooling myself thinking this is adequet for the hd1000. It says it can support up to 8.8lbs the camera weighs over just 7lbs with everything on it
Anyone any opinions
Marc Hangl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I have two 870RMs for my HC3s, and even with these tiny cams the tripod is a bit wobbly. Sometimes in a pinch I will put my FX7s on them but there is a lot of vibration if you even touch the cam or the tripod head. I think these are too small and fragile for even an FX1, much less an HD1000.

We just did a four-cam shoot with HC3s on the 870s and we were riding the manual exposure dial the whole time, but every time someone even touched the cam the whole rig shook like an earthquake.

The other thing to note is that the tripod mounting screw hole on the HD1000 is not really under the center of gravity, so you'll need a pretty substantial head to avoid the whole thing wanting to shoot the sky all the time.

But since you have an 870, you should just try it to see if you like it with the HD1000. If it doesn't work you can later upgrade.
Old March 18th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
Out of the three you mentioned, the Libec (TH20) appears to be the best, but its fluid head is not very good. If the Impact's head (said to be very smooth) is available and is 65mm claw ball, then the libec legs (unfortunately, the Impact's legs are not built very good) with the Impact head would be best.
How about the Matthews M25? I believe it has the same legs as the Libec TH20 but a different head.

EDIT: I passed by a Samy's Camera and stopped by to take a look at one. It look nice I bought one. When I get a chance I will take some pictures of it with the HD1000. Now the next step is to get a LANC.

Last edited by Duane Steiner; March 19th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Set up the Matthews M25 with the HD1000. It is very nice. Very sturdy and the head feels very good. Seems like it will be a keeper.

http://www.speedandmotion.com/pictures/CIMG1177.JPG

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000