What tapes for the HD1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old March 10th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What tapes for the HD1000

I have used TDK's that I buy from Costco in my SD and Canon HV20 without any problems and no drop outs. Well, seems like the HD1000 does not like them and I am noticing many packet losses/drop outs. Any suggestions on what tapes to use?
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I used many of those TDKs from Costco and never had a problem. Remember that new cams take an hour or two of tape to "burnish" the heads and work perfectly, from what I've read. Of course, that could be total BS.

But after about three years of nothing but the TDKs I switched to Sony Premiums (about $2 each in bulk); after about 200 of them I have yet to have a single dropout.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, bought some of the Sony DVM63HD tapes. Captured with HDVSplit and in 11 minutes of footage had 115 packet loses. I can not believe that this is normal. I have also heard about the burning in of the heads. The camera now has about 3 hours of use. Any suggestions?
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Wow, that really sounds unusual. I've never heard of anyone experiencing anything like this with a new cam, a decent PC and good software.

Have you tried playing back on a different cam? Or capturing with a different software tool? Might help narrow down where the problem is.

All these packet losses/dropouts are visible in the tape during playback?

Finally, what are your system specs? I'm wondering if maybe you have a bottleneck in the PC...
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have no idea what is going on. When I looked at the footage on the camera's LCD I did not see anything strange. My PC is a Gateway w/AMD Athlon64X2 4200, 3GB memory, ATI X1300, main drive is a IDE but videos go onto an SATA drive. Never had any problems with footage from my HV20. I have a feeling it might be my PC causing the problems. For some reason Premiere is now playing back video very choppy.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Try defragging the hard drive(s).

Also, try a different firewire cable. Sometimes I wonder if what a lot of people think are dropouts on tape are actually just dropouts on a marginal firewire cable/connection.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Inner Circle

To test if there is a problem with the tape deck in the HD1000, try capturing some live video (with no tape in the camera) and see if you still get dropouts.
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

OK, tried a different cable and used Vegas Pro 7e to capture. Vegas did not show any frame drops, but did see one or two on the screen while I was watching. Tried HDVSplit with the different cable and still showed packet losses. It could be the camera/tape, but think something is amiss with my PC. I am tempted to reinstall Premiere or even do a complete reinstall of Windows and everything else.

Off topic, but is it ok to capture with Vegas, then edit the same captured clips with Premiere and Vegas?
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use these tapes for my hd1000u, xh-a1, and hv20 with no dropouts in over 100 tapes. I shoot in hdv.

http://www.tapeonline.com/MiniDV/Sony_DVM60PRL.aspx
Andre Tira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
OK, tried a different cable and used Vegas Pro 7e to capture. Vegas did not show any frame drops, but did see one or two on the screen while I was watching. Tried HDVSplit with the different cable and still showed packet losses. It could be the camera/tape, but think something is amiss with my PC. I am tempted to reinstall Premiere or even do a complete reinstall of Windows and everything else.

Off topic, but is it ok to capture with Vegas, then edit the same captured clips with Premiere and Vegas?
Which drive did you capture from Vegas to? Was it perhaps setup to default capture to the IDE drive? If so, the SATA likely needs defragging (or is on the way out).

Also, it would be a good idea to see if you get the same sort of results capturing a live feed from the camera with HDVSplit. If you do get similar results capturing a live video stream, chances are the tapes and tape mechanism are just fine. I don't know if HDVSplit can capture a live stream though (I've never used it).
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Steiner View Post
Do you mean switching back and forth between programs using the same clips? I suppose, but remember you're not actually doing anything to the clips themselves, just making lists of instructions, so any changes you do in one NLE won't be reflected in the other.

I think it would also depend on what version you have of each. The current versions of each both edit m2t natively and both will work with Cineform. But they'd need to be the same. You couldn't for example, capture using a Cineform preset in Premiere and then try to use the same source file in Vegas without using Cineform. I think.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Ok, in regards to the choppiness playback with Premiere. My main drive is an IDE and have a removable SATA drive bay for my videos. When running the file from a SATA drive it plays choppy. Moved the file to the main drive and disabled the SATA drive, it plays fine. So there must be some bottleneck with the SATA drive. Any suggestions?
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Did you defragment your SATA drive? Is it connected to the computer via USB, Firewire, or eSATA?
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Did you defragment your SATA drive? Is it connected to the computer via USB, Firewire, or eSATA?
Yes, move some files off of it (it is 250GB) to make more room and defragmented it. It is attached with a removalble drive bay and a SATA cable to the mother board. Next step is to try a different SATA drive in the bay.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Yes. If the drive is connected via eSATA and is defragged, try another drive and see if you still have trouble. Actually, I'd try a different cable to the drive first. The good news is your camera and tapes are probably just fine.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000