Capturing using HV30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old November 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Capturing using HV30

Sorry if this has been talked about, and I couldn't properly research the answer; but I was wondering if I can use my Canon HV30 to capture footage from the HVR1000?

Thanks,
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The hvr1000 records HDV to a minidv cassette, right? In that case you can plug those cassettes into a hv30 and use it to capture.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player

What you do need to watch for is that both cameras support the format you are working with. If you SHOOT in 24p mode, but the PLAYBACK camera does not offer 24p, then it will not recognize the tape. In the case of 1080i HDV, you should always be good since that seems to be the standard, the progressive modes (24p, 30p, 60p) is where it gets sticky

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The hvr1000 records HDV to a minidv cassette, right? In that case you can plug those cassettes into a hv30 and use it to capture.
Old November 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use a HV20 to capture tapes from the HD1000 with no problems.
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks folks for all the quick replies!

A friend had shot 10 hours worth of footage with another friend's HVR1000, but he won't be able to use the cam for capturing (as the other friend will need the cam for another project). And since he's in a deadline, he's asked me whether or not I could use the HV30 to capture the tapes for him. Whew! So I've asked the fine folks here if that's possible.

Duane--Good to know that you've actually done it; and it's at least possible to do so.

Jeff P.--That's also good to note. But if the HV30 shoots a type of 24p, 30p, & 60i, and the HVR1000, shoots in those formats as well, then is it safe to assume that the footage shot on the HVR1000 will be recognized by the HV30? (Assuming I don't make an a$$ out of me :)

I guess I'll just have to put in the tape into the HV30, and start capturing...

Best,
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Major Player

So just found out that the footage shot on the HVR1000 was SD, not HDV.

He tried capturing using an SD miniDV cam, and it didn't work.

So, would the HV30 still work?
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Not sure if this will be helpful or not, but I've experienced similar issues moving between cameras. Recently I had to capture 1080p24 footage shot from an H1, captured with a HV10... doesn't work. It plays fine, but won't capture. And that's going Canon-Canon also.

I've also had trouble going from Sony-shot DV to JVC with dropped frames. I think, in general, the best practice is just to capture with the same camera you shot with, regardless of the extra effort required if you need to wrangle up the camera again.
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Major Player

So we experimented and loaded up a tape onto my HV30, hooked up the firewire, fired up Adobe PPro 2, adjusted settings for HDV 1080i 30 (Sony 60i), hit F5, and...the footage started capturing!

I only captured about 20 seconds or so, the file captured was Mpeg (surprised to see), and was huge--like 39MB, huge.

Dave C.--I understand how you feel. But sometimes when deadlines loom, and there're projects to shoot, one can't always use the same camera to capture (like what's currently happening to my friend). Yes, one can argue that proper planning would insure that won't happen, but in reality, especially when business and money is concerned, situations like that does occur. (apologize for long-winded-ness :)

Best,
Old November 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

The Sony camera in question is "1080i only", does not do 24p, 30p, etc. and should play back fine in the HV30.

HDV captures at the SAME rate as DV, not sure why the file size surprised you, it uses about 13GB per hour. That is why you can fit one hour of DV or HDV on the same tape.

".mpeg" is the correct file type when capturing HDV using Premiere, looks like you will be fine with the captures using the HV30.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
So we experimented and loaded up a tape onto my HV30, hooked up the firewire, fired up Adobe PPro 2, adjusted settings for HDV 1080i 30 (Sony 60i), hit F5, and...the footage started capturing!

I only captured about 20 seconds or so, the file captured was Mpeg (surprised to see), and was huge--like 39MB, huge.

Dave C.--I understand how you feel. But sometimes when deadlines loom, and there're projects to shoot, one can't always use the same camera to capture (like what's currently happening to my friend). Yes, one can argue that proper planning would insure that won't happen, but in reality, especially when business and money is concerned, situations like that does occur. (apologize for long-winded-ness :)

Best,
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #10
Major Player

I've never used the HVR1000, and don't know its specs. (That's why I rely on folks here at dvinfo for, um, info :)

I've only captured HDV thru the HV30, using the trial version of Cineform's AspectHD. And with those files, the HDV footage is converted to Cineform's AVI files. So I guess PPro's native HDV files are converted to Mpegs?

Thanks again for the help and info!
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

HDV video is MPEG-2. I believe technically it's called a "transport stream" and the file extension would normally be ".m2t" but Adobe tags it .mpeg instead.

Adobe is not "converting" the captured HDV, just changing the extension. On the other hand, Cineform does actually transcode the MPEG-2 into an .avi file format and it does take more space on the drive but is easier to play back and edit.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
I've never used the HVR1000, and don't know its specs. (That's why I rely on folks here at dvinfo for, um, info :)

I've only captured HDV thru the HV30, using the trial version of Cineform's AspectHD. And with those files, the HDV footage is converted to Cineform's AVI files. So I guess PPro's native HDV files are converted to Mpegs?

Thanks again for the help and info!
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Check out this thread.

HV20 and Portable Intensity Station - Canon HV20 / HV30 User Forum

I can build you what you want, the problem is how much do you want to pay for it.

I'd say expect to pay at least 3K, especially if you want to use the Cineform Codec.

email me if you are interested.

Chris
Chris Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Oh BTW, I have used this setup for many a greenscreen shoot, and the keys are just amazing. Personally I think the quality of the HDV the camera shoots is amazing, so anything better is just gravy to me.

Chris
Chris Swartz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000