Microphone Mount at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Microphone Mount

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but have been shooting and editing video for years.

Anyway, I've been shooting my TV show with a FX1000, an HD1000, and an HC9 (that is often attached to my Letus Mini).

My show can be watched also on the Internet here: EI > Columns > Film Fix TV Show: Coverage from the 2009 Macon Film Festival

I use the HD1000 for a B camera and it has served me well in good light conditions and with the assistance of a LED light.

My issue recently has been that I removed the microphone mount and when I put it back on it is loose and there appears to be a piece missing. I've been using a MKE300 with it and would like to add an even better shotgun but the mount is loose.

Anyone know where I can buy a replacement mount or something? I'm considering buying a Rycote mount bracket and using that from the shoe mount on the camera. That way I can put my big LED light and the mic on the same shoe. But anyone have a better suggestion?

I use the HD1000 in shoulder mount almost exclusively.

Thanks!
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

From exactly what part is the mount loose from?
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well there are two screws that hold the mount on the camera. And when you take those off, the mount comes apart into at least two pieces. Now, here's the problem: I've had the mount off the camera for months.

When I decided to put it back on, it just hung loose as though a part was missing.

I'm probably just going to get that Rycote hot shoe (even though it is cold) extension from B&H. But I'm frustrated that a part appears missing.

Thanks!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Trustee

We have three of these cameras and all of them have developed 'mic droop'. Our Sony repair guys bought new parts and then wasted hours trying to get it back togther again without the 'droop'. I've had no joy either and given up. If anyone knows a cure we'd be mighty glad to know the answer.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Regular Crew

"Droop" is a great way to put it. I just thought I lost a piece or something. Once it is off the camera, you can't reassemble it firmly. It is a flimsy design, which I'm just abandoning altogether. Note that I have a full-sized bag for the camera and you still need to remove the mic mount when storing it or that mount will probably break in transit.

I purchased the Rycote hot (think cold) shoe extension. This will allow me to put my led panel and my MKE300 on the camera up front simultaneously. I have a shoot on Wednesday evening and will try this if B&H delivers the items by that time.

So, the fix is a hot shoe extension.

As an aside, I ordered a used tripod with a LANC from B&H last night. It was a small Sony one (the VCT-D680RM) but since I mostly am a one person crew, I get tired carrying my full-sized Bogen or Matthews around all the time. One year at Sundance, me and my two person crew just crashed carrying a massive Bogen up and down all those hills. This year, I had no crew with me (budget cuts, you know) and just took a very small consumer tripod, which was terrible for my FX1000. I made the most of it.

Anyone ever tried to use this small tripod with an FX1 or FX1000?

Also, I've had the HD1000U on my Matthews tripod and it is still unsteady (even with a large key). I don't even try to put it on a tripod anymore, rather, just use it on the shoulder for B roll shots.

It is important to tell everyone that I really like the HD1000U because of the form factor. The image can be controlled and delivers well. With an external mic, sound is adequate. You can watch my show and hear the on-camera mic in action. If you are in a crowded room forget it. I shot one interview in a lobby with that mic and almost couldn't save the audio. Picture was great. Sadly, I had the MKE300 in my bag and could have popped it or a wireless on, I was just lazy. Attention to detail is key, you know.
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Mine has a little droop, and moves a bit more than I'd like, but not because I took it off and then replaced it, but because a strong wind blew my bag-weighted tripod over. The camera landed on the mic's side but didn't break or even dent, something I partially attribute to the kata rain cover and rode deadcat it had on. I'm very happy with the strength of the HD1000's mic holder, and it still does the job of isolating the camera's noise. A little droop is not a bad price to pay IMHO :)
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The droop issue is just weird because I could do nothing to strengthen it. Anyway, I'm getting that Rycote shoe extension that ought to accommodate both my MKE300 and a large LED panel.

I recently shot something for my show with my HC9 at a student Film Camp. I used both the on camera mic and the MKE300. While the on camera installed mic was okay, it is amazing how much tighter the sound is with a decent external shotgun. I usually do all my interviews with lavs or handheld but in the right conditions that MKE300 is perfect. I'm planning on just permanently keep it with my HD1000.
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000