HVR1000 and PPro CS3 Workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old April 11th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVR1000 and PPro CS3 Workflow

Hi,
I'm a satisfied HVR1000U user ;).
At this time I always work on HDV footage, but for a web diffusion, I don't need to work with this resolution, I need a maximum 640x360.
What is the best thing to do ?
- to film in HDV and use the HVR1000 "Downconvert" to SD during the Capture process on Ppro CS3 ?
or to film in SD Rec Format directly on the HVR1000 ?

Also,
When I finish my edit on Ppro CS3, the best way to export for the web is to use the "Deinterlace Video Footage" option ?

Can you give me some advices, to find the best workflow.
Thank
Foucault Martial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
What is the best thing to do ?
- to film in HDV and use the HVR1000 "Downconvert" to SD during the Capture process on Ppro CS3 ?
or to film in SD Rec Format directly on the HVR1000 ?
In my opinion I'd say record in HDV and downconvert in capture so you can archive your footage without the fear of it been dated. This helps with the fact that the internet and display technologies are moving at a fast pace towards high definition. Just give a quick look to YouTube's 'Watch in HD' option and Vimeo.
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would film and capture in HDV, then downconvert when you render your final project. This allows you to work with the best quality of footage, and gives you the option of rendering your project however you want. I do this myself as most of my projects get rendered as both a HD and a low-res version.

I can't hep on your PPro settings though, sorry.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thnak for your help, I will do like this :

Film in HDV format
and downconvert to SD when transfering to Ppro CS3 with the HVR-HD1000 inside setup.

Bye
Foucault Martial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've been having all kinds of issues with going from HD to SD when my stuff goes on TV.

While I don't use your editing program, I've had some luck with running the HDV footage in as HD and then using the editor to downconvert to SD. It has been my experience that using the camera to downconvert causes edge cropping or letterbox sqeeze or you sometimes drop frames (which is related to my new NLE).

The problem I have is that the station takes my SD 16:9 mpeg and compresses it yet again. They use a program to letterbox it and make it 4:3. At times, it looks pretty rough. Also, sound goes from stereo to mono too.

Anyway, couldn't you run everything in in HD and use your editor to downconvert?
Jonathan W. Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Archivist for SMECC

where to down convert.

I use Sony Vegas as an editor... but here is what I do...

Shoot HDV.... import HDV..... then if i want to zoom in have hier res image to crop from! I also have higher res image to pull still frams from ( this is a real bonus!)

Render out to SD for standard tv or render out to file for internet.

Summary... work with highest res file in the edit as you can. yea... takes more file space but allous you to pan crop zoom in on thinsg in the edit and make wonderfull single full screen pulls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foucault Martial View Post
Thnak for your help, I will do like this :

Film in HDV format
and downconvert to SD when transfering to Ppro CS3 with the HVR-HD1000 inside setup.

Bye

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000