Just ordered an HD1000! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
That's a bit like saying you'd rather marry a hooker than a virgin, because at least you know she's been tested.
Well, if she gets a lot of repeat customers...
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Next step..invest in lighting...this camera is a bitch when it comes to low lighted venues...
with lights the video is phenomenal...for the price..
Kren, I saw the 7th Birthday video in your Vimeo account,was that shot using the HD1000?
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #18
Major Player

@Jacob - thanks, no directions from us ..just catching the moments... we try to be always aware of what's transpiring.. don't really like shooting what the photographer is doing.. as for lights no barn doors , what we got was colored black already , we only use either Bounce Sheets or Parchment paper for diffusers..(it also makes it smell nice :) Oh yeah we also use on camera Sony Lights most couples don't want to drown out the mood of the party with the worklights.

@Noel - that's correct HD1000u certified..
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Malotavinksy View Post
I know the multi function ring is limiting and there are no xlr inputs and it isn't an XH-A1 but $1500 was stretching it and I didn't want to invest in SD or buy something in unknown condition off ebay.

It looks like I'm getting a $500 coupon for sonystyle.com too! =)
Congrats on your purchase. I really like my 1000U but would highly recommend you invest in an on-cam HD monitor 7 inches or greater to really push it. Lighting is a good idea but often customers will balk at large or overly bright set-ups. A monitor you can use every time you shoot... Good luck and happy shooting!
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
That's a bit like saying you'd rather marry a hooker than a virgin, because at least you know she's been tested.
That's quite a stretch there Adam.

But since the tape would have already have been "tested" by the same person who was re-using the tape, I think that person could make the argument that he knew what he could expect from the tape because he had already "tested" it once... the second time ought to be just as good.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Okay, let me get this straight. We should only marry a hooker we've "tested" personally?
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #22
New Boot

One more question, hookers aside, a friend of mine has a cheap car dvd player with a slave screen I could use. It just has audio left/right and the single yellow video in (composite?). I'd really like a Marshal HD monitor with peaking and false color, etc. but I need to pay off the HD1000 first... would a (relatively) low resolution 7" LCD from a DVD player offer any benefit for focusing over the HD1000's stock LCD and eyepiece?
Jacob Malotavinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Emery View Post
I think that person could make the argument that he knew what he could expect from the tape because he had already "tested" it once... the second time ought to be just as good.
Not to belabor this, really, but that is just preposterous, because each and every use degrades the tape further and dramatically increases the chance of a dropout or mechanical problem. The very act of "testing" it makes it *less* reliable.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #24
Major Player

Jacob,

Here's a different set of lights that isn't rugged professional, but are pretty effective if you don't need to control the light (no barn doors, just flood the area):

AIM Studio Professional Photo Light Kit w/ 8 26W 5500k Daylight Balance Light Bulbs $129.99 Deal - Best Price Cheap Sale Items Review Wholesale Sale Discount

I have purchased 3 sets of them. They are lightweight, reliable, and more presentable that work lights. Eventually you'll want to get some nice lights with some type of rolling carrier, but you'll probably be spending north of $2,000 for anything approaching professional. $129 is a bargain.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
One more question, hookers aside, a friend of mine has a cheap car dvd player with a slave screen I could use. It just has audio left/right and the single yellow video in (composite?). I'd really like a Marshal HD monitor with peaking and false color, etc. but I need to pay off the HD1000 first... would a (relatively) low resolution 7" LCD from a DVD player offer any benefit for focusing over the HD1000's stock LCD and eyepiece?
The resolution of the HD1000 LCD is only 123k pixels, so compare that to the pixel count on the LCD from the DVD player. It's probably pretty close, but a larger screen does help too.
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #26
Inner Circle

One thing I'd like to know, is how Sony figures the HD1000 is "professional camcorder", yet the FX1000 is merely an "advanced amateur camcorder" (their exact terms used on the Sony Style site). Where's the logic in that one?
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
One thing I'd like to know, is how Sony figures the HD1000 is "professional camcorder", yet the FX1000 is merely an "advanced amateur camcorder" (their exact terms used on the Sony Style site). Where's the logic in that one?
Keep in mind that the FX1000 has a "professional" counterpart, the Z5. While the HD1000 is all by itself, yes it's built on one of their consumer cameras, but the body alone defines it as a professional camera.

If they position the FX1000 as a "professional" camera it be competing with the Z5 and the V1U.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
each and every use degrades the tape further and dramatically increases the chance of a dropout or mechanical problem. The very act of "testing" it makes it *less* reliable.
This is correct Adam (though I'd question your adjective 'dramatically'), but applies to all the mechanical things you own - your toaster, your car's gearbox, your front door lock. Testing them starts to wear them out, but you'd not trust any of them until you'd tested them that first time, would you?

The original design intent for Mini DV back in the mid 90s (pre NLE systems) was to record in the 12 bit mode, rewind countless times, audio dub, rewind, record tape to tape using cue and review, pause record, stop, start and so on.

This is tough on the little tape, but as I say, that was the design intent. Nowadays we treat tape gently. One rewind, one play into the computer. And I am living proof that such use doesn't, 'dramatically increases the chance of a dropout'.

Onwards, good people.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
...a friend of mine has a cheap car dvd player with a slave screen I could use. It just has audio left/right and the single yellow video in (composite?). I'd really like a Marshal HD monitor with peaking and false color, etc. but I need to pay off the HD1000 first... would a (relatively) low resolution 7" LCD from a DVD player offer any benefit for focusing over the HD1000's stock LCD and eyepiece?
I would guesstimate there would be some improvement but not much. The benefit in this scenario would be seeing it separate from all the feedback icons and slightly larger. I have an Ikan V8000HD and I can tell you that when i hook up with s-video, it is better but to get the real advantage I need to be hooked up via component to get the true HDV signal. Now Ikan has the v8000 with HDMI. Also you might check the thread on here about the "smallHD" monitor. The price point is incredible for the feature set.

Marshall is great but the pricepoint is often difficult for me to swallow...
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalberto Lopez View Post
...but the body alone defines it as a professional camera.
You can put lipstick on a pig...

I'm not trying to knock the HD1000, yet I don't really consider it a "professional" quality camcorder either. I do find it amusing how we can be so influenced by superficial appearances. If I were to hire someone to shoot video for me (like in the extremely unlikely event I were to get married ...even to a hooker!), I don't care if the cameras look like toys and say "Mattel" on them, so long as they indeed shoot premium quality video.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000