Just ordered an HD1000! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old June 9th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Just ordered an HD1000!

I know the multi function ring is limiting and there are no xlr inputs and it isn't an XH-A1 but $1500 was stretching it and I didn't want to invest in SD or buy something in unknown condition off ebay.

It looks like I'm getting a $500 coupon for sonystyle.com too! =)
Jacob Malotavinksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Good for you. Enjoy your new toy and here's how. When you get, while charging the batteries browse thru the manual and then after you can power up the camera, go thru the menus and features/functions while reading thru the manual to understand what the F/F and menus do. THEN after spending time doing that shoot some tape of familiar things. Kids pets spouse or significant other then look at it in you NLE to see if you need to make any adjustments in the menus and then do the same with the audio. Record a bunch of stuff making notes of any changes you might make in the audio set up load into your NLE and listen to it-make adjustments as needed shoot some more.
What I'm saying is learn the camera like the back of your hand so you KNOW where everything is and what it does so there's no fumbling around when shooting and THEN you'll enjoy your new toy no matter what the situation.
Have fun and enjoy!
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
New Boot

I know you're not supposed to mix tape brands within one camera because of lube issues, but is it okay to mix one type of tape between different manufacturers DV cameras? I've got a pair of Canon ZR minidv cameras and a bunch of tapes I'd like to reuse in my new Sony.
Old June 10th, 2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Personally I don't feel 100% about that but I suppose it won't hurt just stay with that mfg and model of tape thru out.
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Tapes are so cheap, why would you ever want to re-use one?

Don's advice about the HD1000 is right on; by learning what it can and cannot do, you will not be unpleasantly surprised or disapponted.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I'd rather use cheap tapes once than premium tapes twice. B&H has JVC MiniDV tapes for $2/ea, when you buy the three-pack. That's pretty dang cheap, and probably a better option than using any tape twice.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Tapes are so cheap, why would you ever want to re-use one?
Simply because when used, you've tested it, and (hopefully) found it to be perfect. It's 'so cheap' because there's no end of line inspection (apart from yours), and whoever heard of going on an important shoot with untested (cheap) kit?

We all reuse tape, or we'd never rewind them and play them into our PCs. I've reused premiums many times, and HDV tapes countless times. It's tough stuff, well protected by it's shell. Treat it nice and value the ones you've tested.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Every time you record or play, the tape is degraded. Eventually it will fail and you will get dropouts. There's no practical way of predicting when that will be. A tape that "tests" okay, simply because the previous recording was captured successfully without issue, does not assure that the next recording will be dropout free. I don't know of anyone that's carefully tested the reliability of premium tapes used twice (or more) vs cheap tapes used once. I'd sooner bet on cheap tape once, rather than any reused tapes.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9
Inner Circle

How do you see it being degraded Robert? Mechanically? Yes, eventually it will fail, but so too will your camcorder's zoom motor, and we don't stop using that 'just in case'. That motor may well test ok but fail on the next shoot.

If you have a dirty tape path that will tend to damage delicate tape, and I'm very anti shuttling (cue and review) because of tape's vulnerability. I'd never use any tape that I hadn't broken open from its celephane wrap. Have you tried to demagnetise a DV tape? It's difficult to do, so robust is the digital signal.

But each to his own. What works for you works for you, I say.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #10
Inner Circle

There is physical wear on a tape, each time it's used (measurable with expensive equipment, but that's not practical). Of course you don't replace the camera (or parts like a zoom motor) each time you shoot. I didn't replace my VCR each time I wanted to record a TV show either (haven't used one in years though), but I usually used fresh tape for recording. If reusing tapes works well for you, that's great. It really is about whatever works good for you.

Personally, I've had far more issues with firewire cables causing dropouts than from any tape failing. Fortunately, just replacing the cable and recapturing usually does the trick and all is good. I've only really had serious problems with one tape in the past couple years, but I think it was probably more the camera recording heads on the way out than a problem with the tape. It was an older consumer camera that I haven't used since.

I really wish somebody would do some careful independent laboratory testing of MiniDV tapes, and publish the results. I would love to know just how reliable different brands and grades of tapes are, in relationship to each other, and also if reusing premium tape is or is not more reliable than using budget tape only once.
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Major Player

Next step..invest in lighting...this camera is a bitch when it comes to low lighted venues...
with lights the video is phenomenal...for the price..
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Next step..invest in lighting...this camera is a bitch when it comes to low lighted venues...
with lights the video is phenomenal...for the price..
I'll do some searching on lighting tonight. I bought some halogen worklights for another video project a while back. One of them mounts well on an umbrella swivel and the largest set (2x500W) can take one of my shoot through umbrellas. It isn't the nicest setup for sure, but it works okay for me... or is that a case of me just having nothing better to compare it to?
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #13
Major Player

Home Depot worklights ($99) would do just fine...

Check out our footages with the HD 1000u

Dario and Tanja- Part 2 on Vimeo
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Home Depot worklights ($99) would do just fine...

Check out our footages with the HD 1000u

Dario and Tanja- Part 2 on Vimeo
that's a cool video, a couple questions -

how much of that is you just capturing what they're already doing and how much is you providing them direction to give you the shots you want?

also, do you do anything to dress up your work lights so they don't look like work lights? i bought some high temp black paint but haven't painted mine or added any DIY barndoors yet.
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Simply because when used, you've tested it, and (hopefully) found it to be perfect.
That's a bit like saying you'd rather marry a hooker than a virgin, because at least you know she's been tested.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000