Idiot Soccer Dad with an HD-1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old July 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Tourist

Idiot Soccer Dad with an HD-1000

Help....Using the HD1000 to tape my daughters bright red uniform results in over exposure of the uniform. Setting the white balance to outside has helped, but still not great. This is usually in direct bright sunlight. Any tricks here ?

Settings are:

Focus-auto
gain-auto
WB-outside
Gray Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Is gain selectable on your camera? If it is, set it to 0dB and adjust the exposure manually using either the LCD or viewfinder as the monitor. Then try manually white-balancing the scene with the red uniform in it. This particular red may render better in your footage with a different outdoor lighting.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's not likely the WB. Sonys tend to pump the reds.

Try turning CAMERA COLOR down a notch or two, if it's just that the red is too intense. If the picture really is overexposed (doubtful but possible), you can go to manual exposure or set AE SHIFT to -1 or -2. If the whole picture is too red, you could use WB SHIFT, but I doubt this is your problem. Your best bet is to stay in OUTDOOR WB while outdoors. Setting to indoor would actually make everything look bluer, but it will look strange.

All this is on pages 40-42 of your manual. Play around with the settings a bit until you like what you see. Also play around with X.V. COLOR (page 45).
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

One other thing to check, do make sure you haven't accidentally knocked the Backlight button and turned backlight compensation on, as that will blow out your exposure as well...
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Typically, setting AE shift between -2 and -4 will help a lot, turn your zebras on, and if needed you should also be able to ride exposure. Reds can be touchy with any cam - a Canon would probably be even worse.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #6
Tourist

Soccer Dad Red problem part 2

Well at least its good to hear that the bright red can be a problem far most cameras. I will definitely try the AE shift.

Another note, I did one video that was absolutely great in red color. I have tried to recreate (remember) what I did exactly, and I think I had my circular polarizer on. Does that makes sense to keep the red from being so glare-y in bright sunshine?
Gray Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
Inner Circle

A CP can be helpful in bright sunlight to prevent overly reflective surfaces from blowing out, it's worth a try, that's for sure. I always keep a CP or two handy in my kit if I'm going to be shooting outdoors.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000