DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   Got my HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/471841-got-my-hd1000.html)

James Milligan January 28th, 2010 10:55 AM

Got my HD1000

Hi,

I've got my HD1000(P) now! This is my first camera I've owned actually, I've been using a PD150 for some time, and have a lot of experience with the JVC GY-HD200 too.

So, yeah, very pleased with it actually, got down to playing around with it using the tips someone suggested in another thread, about getting used to every feature, seeing how it works in my edit software etc. So far so good!

I'm filming a dramatic production at my school next week, a rock concert at another school, a festival in May, as well as numerous other 'little' events :-)

Any general tips for a new HD1000 user? I think I've got most of it sorted, ring is set to exposure, spot focus on touchscreen. I think this'll work fine for me but I'll soon know!!!

James

If anyone wants to find out more about 'me', check my CV: www.lake54.com/cv/

James Milligan January 28th, 2010 11:57 AM

Actually, something I'm fairly keen to find out about, is there any way to change the speed of the zoom action? I know the rocker on the handle is fixed, but the one on the lens and the ring itself, any way to change it?

Would help loads!

James

Adam Gold January 28th, 2010 02:32 PM

The zoom speed is always variable on the grip handle and if you set Zoom to the ring. It is never variable on the top handle rocker. No way to really adjust it in the menus -- just change how far you push the handle rocker or turn the zoom ring. Page 30 of your manual.

As good as this cam is, I hope you won't disappointed in its performance shooting shows with theatrical lighting. It won't come close to the other cams you've used. It's not really a good choice for this purpose. For outdoors ENG and corporate meetings with lots of light, sure.

James Milligan January 28th, 2010 02:42 PM

Yeah sorry that's what I meant (I knew the top handle wasn't changeable). I've tried with the ring set to zoom, but it only goes as fast as the fully depressed rocker, which is a tad disappointing.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to get used to it :-)

James

Adam Gold January 28th, 2010 02:49 PM

I thought the lens ring was variable as well. I'll have to try it on mine...

Edit: The lens ring is variable. Turning it slowly makes a nice slow zoom, turning it fast gives you a crash zoom, or anything in between. Just confirmed on mine.

Shawn Legg February 3rd, 2010 12:03 AM

Yeah it is variable, but I think he wants it to go faster than it does. There is no way to change it to go faster, I looked. I was pretty disappointed in the speed of the zoom as well, it just seems to be a little too slow for those quick zooms in music videos etc.

Adam Gold February 3rd, 2010 12:15 AM

I'll bet you're right. Most people complain about these zooms being too fast, and I made an assumption.

Bryan Daugherty February 4th, 2010 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1478572)
...As good as this cam is, I hope you won't disappointed in its performance shooting shows with theatrical lighting. It won't come close to the other cams you've used. It's not really a good choice for this purpose...

In my experience, theatrical lighting is where this cam shines. It could be the lighting director I am working with, but I find this camera works very well in a theatrical setting. What issues have you experienced that lead you to this conclusion? Thanks!

Adam Gold February 4th, 2010 12:17 AM

Hey Bryan--

Good to hear another perspective. I should point out that the one time we tried shooting a show with the HD1000, the director's nickname was "The Prince of Darkness." I just found the cam desperately kept trying to boost the blacks up in such a way that the grain was really over the top. We shot on manual and tried to kick down the gain but then everything was too dark. So it just wasn't the best choice for us in that particular show.

But good to know it does work in other shows.

Ian Scammell February 12th, 2010 03:33 AM

Hi Guys

I had my HD1000 delivered yesterday, so far very pleased. I film lots of Theatre and outdoor events so good to here all of the remarks. I,ve been using my PD170 up untill now so will have to get used to a camera with a limited low light function. My main choice for this camera is it,s overall comfort being shoulder mounted.

Gray Fowler February 12th, 2010 01:55 PM

zoom speed

The zoom speed is variable depending on how far you depress the button

Bryan Daugherty February 13th, 2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Scammell (Post 1485063)
Hi Guys

I had my HD1000 delivered yesterday, so far very pleased. I film lots of Theatre and outdoor events so good to here all of the remarks. I,ve been using my PD170 up untill now so will have to get used to a camera with a limited low light function. My main choice for this camera is it,s overall comfort being shoulder mounted.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family. A lot of the theatrical shots we have worked on use vibrantly lit backdrops. I love the clarity of the CMOS on these. My PD170 (CCD) would have a lot of bloom that is completely absent on my HD1000U. The exposure (gain/iris) control can be difficult to master but it can be a great camera for these events, if you have the right kind of lighting director...