Low Light/No Light Filming... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old February 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Tourist

Low Light/No Light Filming...

Okay I have an HDV-hd1000. I do recognize that it is one CMOS, and therefore not the best for what I am planning on using if for, however it is what I have and I cannot afford to buy or rent anything at this time. Therefore, please only suggest options relevant to this camera, not "you need to get camera xyz."

I am planning on filming a horror short this spring with some friends. The entire movie is to be set at night. I've tried to find information about night filming with digital online, but I'm having little luck. I have a few specific questions:

If I film at night, obviously I will need lighting especially with my particular camera, any suggestions? I still want it to LOOK like nighttime, but my subjects also, clearly, need to be seen. Can I film during the day, and either use some kind of filter to make it appear like a night time scene, or is there a way to do this is post? Finally, I have a scene that revolves around a campfire. What is the best, most natural way to film this scene and capture the unique fireglow while not getting "grainy" from too little light.

I'm very new to filming, and I'm searching for all the books and answers I can, so any help or direction would be forever appreciated!

PS: Any book suggestions that are readily found in a local library would also be great!

Last edited by Andrew M. King; February 25th, 2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: omission of word
Andrew M. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #2
New Boot

Hollywood's Dark Secret: Shooting Day for Night

not sure if this will help...
Richard Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000