HD1000 - Good for web? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #1
New Boot

HD1000 - Good for web?

Yeah, hello, bit of a newbie here, with a newbie question!
Is this camera any good for filming a YouTube show. I am looking for a good camera, looks pro, takes decent shots and isn't too heavy, so it can easily suffer a train ride there and back.

I will be working mostly outside and possibly inside for some shots.
It seems to fit the bill, but has anyone used it, and will editing the full HD video put my Mac Mini under a lot of strain?
Also, need some good wireless microphones, preferably that work from a distance and use a 3.5 minijack.

Thanks,
Andrew
Andrew Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Andrew,

The HD1000 would do the trick but if you want to use more than one wireless mic or a wireless mic and a shotgun mic you're going to need an XLR adaptor.

For youtube purposes only, I'd be inclined to pick up a second hand PD150/170. This will be great value for money and give you easier access to manual controls, smaller and lighter form factor, easier to edit than HDV (although the HD1000 can easily shoot or downconvert to SD for editing) gives you better audio options, and will be much better in low light conditions.

For Wireless microphones, the sennheiser G2 or Sony UVP-W1 are a good starting point.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, I had considered a PD170 but what's it like to carry round allday? With wireless mics it could become quite large, and truth is I would prefer to lug a HD1000 around.
But thanks, I'll take a look at those mics!
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #4
Trustee

Just looked up the specs and the HD1000 is 6lbs while the PD170 is 3.3lbs. It is also significantly smaller than the shoulder mount form factor of the HD1000.

Wireless mics won't add much to the size/weight of the camera. The reciever can easily mount to the hotshoe (At least on my Sony UVP-W1 it can) and is smaller than the palm of my hand.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5
New Boot

I much prefer to shoot in HD and use a shoulder mount, but god the PD170 is a nice camera.

Has anyone used it for the web? Also, I am looking at the Audio-Technica ATR288W wireless mic system, at a quarter of the price of the Sennheisers and I couldn't find anything on the Sony's

Anyone used AT? Are they cheap crap, or decent mics?
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Th HD1000 will take a beating fairly happily, mine would get stuffed into a rucksack and carted around the country to football (soccer) matches and still happily work away. Not sure about the AT mic, though in the sound section of this forum I've seen some given a reasonable rating so it could be ok, maybe ask there?

Have Fun,
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000