Canon XL1S to HD1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old May 1st, 2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Canon XL1S to HD1000

Hola amigos,
I find myself losing more and more jobs due to not making the switch to HD yet....and the value of my XL1S' dropping substantially over the last 6 months.
I've pretty much decided I should sell my 2 XL1S' asap and go with the HD1000. It's all my "budget" will really allow since I can't get a loan due to a bankruptcy (not related to my business).
My concerns are the studdering in pans and graininess (in good lighting) I've noticed in peoples clips posted here. Some of these clips are a year old though so I'm wondering if there have been improvements in the camera since then. That said, I've also noticed some spectacular footage (much better than I can get with the XL1S') ...so maybe it's more the operator's settings in the cam and knowing how to work around the limitations of the camera? Also, how is the sound with an XLR adaptor...I only need 2 channels, what brand model should I go for?
It's a bit scary to sell what I have so any advice would be much appreciated...also any advice as to where to buy the HD1000?
Thanks very much,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

AFAIK there haven't been any changes to the HD1000 since its release. If you are seeing grainy footage in good light then I suspect it has more to do with operator error than any flaw in the cam.

I love this cam in good light (and even a well-lit sports field at night), but manual control-wise, it isn't even in the same league as your XL1ses. It's really a consumer cam (the HC7) in a big box.

Be aware that if you bolt an XLR box to the bottom, you can't use it shoulder-mounted/handheld, as the box is exactly where the shoulder rest is. The included shotgun mic is fine but a Rode VideoMic -- which goes directly into the mini plug -- is even better.

Most of the people on these boards who have expressed unhappiness or dissatisfaction with this cam went in with unrealistic expectations of what it was. If you know what it is, exactly, and what it's meant to do, then I think you'll be relatively pleased.

I buy only from B&H. If you want to dip your toe into the HD1000 waters, here's an open-box one there: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800698048-USE/Sony_HVRHD1000U_HVR_HD1000U_Digital_High_Definition.html. It's a great deal. I often buy used/open box gear from B&H and have never been disappointed.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks very much Adam!

"Most of the people on these boards who have expressed unhappiness or dissatisfaction with this cam went in with unrealistic expectations of what it was."

The price point being what it is, I can't imagine expecting much.

"If you know what it is, exactly, and what it's meant to do, then I think you'll be relatively pleased."

What it's meant to do is confusing for me because I read one post where someone says it's bad for theatrical lighting and another says it's great. Although most of my work is sit-down interviews (with plenty of lights) and outdoor stuff I also do music concerts and recitals sometimes and wonder how it does with spot lights (not necessarily dim lit plays and such).
Also, after looking at the manual I don't see an auto-focus button (where one can be in manual focus, zoom in on subject, push AF and pull back out without the focus shifting later). I did see what appears to be a very cool thing where you touch the screen where you want the focus (background/foreground) and it will focus to that (and keep that focus)...do I understand this concept correctly?
Are you happy with the AE?
Thanks again Adam,
Randy
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't love it for theatrical stuff. It wants to gain up too much and it's a little laborious to control it so you don't get so much grain. It has a SPOTLIGHT function but the contrasty nature of theatrical lighting sometimes throws it for a loop. But outdoors and in well-lit situations it's a champ.

It was really designed to offer two benefits over the smaller HC7 upon which it is based: 1) a steady shoulder mount for those who must shoot handheld run n' gun, and 2) to look impressive for corporate video departments with tightly strapped cash budgets who want to impress their bosses with how much they got for their money.

#2 is not insignificant and I'm not being sarcastic about that. Appearances often matter as much, or more than, actual content. Sad but true. Those who expect too much from this cam see that it has the same basic size and shape as the S270 and expect performance to match at about 20% of the price.

The spot focus function is nice but as you noticed there is no PUSH AF function like in more pro-oriented cams.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Major Player

"The spot focus function is nice but as you noticed ..."
So you do simply touch the screen and it does focus to that (and not drift until you touch somewhere else)?
Thanks very much Adam,
Randy
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yes, as far as I recall; when you activate SPOT FOCUS it turns off Auto Focus so it should stay put.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:48 AM   #7
Major Player

That's a pretty cool concept if it works well.
BTW, is there a way to be emailed/subscribe to a thread here?
Thanks again Adam,
Randy
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Sure. Just hit "Reply" and below the input box, at the bottom of "Additional Options," is "Notification Type." Choose what kind of email you want.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:35 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Outdoors in bright light the camera shines...

...but indoors the thing boosts the gain by it's own desires. My biggest gripe is that you cannot manually control the gain, and that there is no real practical way to manually set your exposure consistently. (You can control the exposure, there simply is no way to measure what F-Stop you're at until you play back the footage and see the specs on the record info)

The camera is a couple of years old - I'd run from it for the money and get something more current.
Marc S. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10
Major Player

<i>The camera is a couple of years old - I'd run from it for the money and get something more current.</i>

Yessir, I've decided to go with a used Canon XH-A1 and a Panasonic TM700...and hope I can get them to match in post.
Thank you everyone,
Randy
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Good choice... the Canon XH A1 will be leagues better, both in image quality and functionality/operationally) than the Sony HD1000.

The Panasonic should be a good deal better as well.

Glad you were able to figure out what would work for you.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:02 AM   #12
New Boot

Sorry being a little late adding to this post. I use the HD 1000 for half my work which is theatre or similar and allways under controlled lighting conditions. A big saving for not having to hire another camera plus the production Companies I free-lance for have been happy with the results. I do not use the camera in poor lighting conditions.

My only real gripe is not having both manual aperture and focus together so depending on the conditions have to make a choice.

The Bottom line is that as I said half my work is covered without hiring.

Regards Ian
Ian Scammell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000