when to convert HD to SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

when to convert HD to SD

My first post here so Hi from New Zealand!
I am moving from SD to HD and my new HVRHD1000 is enroute as I type! I edit with Edius5 and I read that this camera can download from HD as SD. However, it seems logical to leave everything as HD even at the editing stage, then output the rendered project to disk as SD. Is this possible and is this the best route? what do you guys do when an SD project is required?

Also, has anyone any objective thoughts on comparison between this camera in SD compared to a dedicated 3chip SD camera? (two questions I know, but I have read loads about this camera but very little from the people that actually use it, so who better to ask? ) Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Rod Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I can't answer the second question, or answer for anyone else, but whenever I needed to convert to SD I always left it to the final render, as that way I found I got the best result. (Nowadays I don't do SD with my HD1000)

Have Fun,
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks Jim, so shoot in HD and output post edit to SD? makes sense, I was not sure if it was possible. Thanks for your input.
Rod Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #4
New Boot

Hi,

I think it is best to edit HDV and then use HDV .mov or whatever to make your DVD's. The higher the quality in the higher the quality of the end result.

John
John Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Major Player

We shoot in HD then upload to PremierePro as SD..never had one complaint from the 30 + weddings we've done... there is not much quality difference from the final output between doing this and editing in HD.. Oh yeah make sure you have good source of lighting when using this cam..low light capability is horrendous to say the least...

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi all a good result

Well, I did shoot in HD and converted to SD via Edius 5. Superb results when output to DVD using Movie factory. Very happy with this budget camera! It far outclassed my SD 3ccd sony VX9000 which originally was about three times the price!
Rod Pike is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000