Fire wire issue in Hd1000e at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-HD1000
Sony's single-CMOS shoulder mount HDV camcorder.

Old September 6th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #1
New Boot

Fire wire issue in Hd1000e

Hi all. I usually capture through a 1394 contoller to PPcs4 in windows 7. Now the program does not recognise the camera. I tried using Pinnacle 12 and the same result. I tried using different fire wire cables, another card bus and on 3 computers with different operating systems. The camera shows that it is connected to the cable (fire wire/i link). All drivers for the 1394 controller are up to date, could I have missed something, perhaps in the settings. I,m not too pleased with the thought of sending it to Sony here in Spain.

Regards Ian
Ian Scammell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Major Player

One possible setting to check: the format selection in the camera menu to be sure that it matches the footage on the tape. If you shot in HDV, is the menu set to DV or Auto? Or, if you shot DV, is the menu set to HDV or auto? If you have it set to "auto," try switching the setting to the specific format you shot, or vice versa. When I was using CS4, my system sometimes would talk to Sony camcorders set to Auto and sometimes would require me to switch.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Jay (love Montana by the way)
I double checked all of the settings, they are fine. I only ever recorded and captured in HDV. I have however viewed a few tapes through the camera which were shot on my PD170 (dv). I cannot see that affecting the HDV capture? I know the computer, 1394 cardbus and cable are OK, it can only be a setting or a blown ilink port. I use the camera myself and take care in connecting to the computer so that seems unlikely. One other point (I cannot see how it can change the settings), before this capture attempt I for the first time plugged in a USB cable to copy over some stills?
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

No, the USB connection wouldn't likely be the issue.

If there have been no changes to either the settings in the cam or to your PC -- including Windows updates -- then it could possibly be a bad port on the cam. Have you ever connected the cam to the PC while either was powered on?

Can you confirm that VCR HDV/DV is set to HDV, that i.Link Conv is OFF, and your LCD during playback reads HDV1080i on the upper left and both i.Link and HDV Out on the upper right?
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Adam
No I have been very carefull on that regard. Typically I bought the camera in South Africa, live in Spain and have to work in morocco in a couple of weeks time. Sony Spain will take at least 2 months to sort it out. I will try a few more things before I send it for repair. My next cam. will be solid state even though the HD1000 for 6 months did it's job well.
Regards ian
Old September 6th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Again, can you confirm the settings and displays above?
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #7
New Boot

HDV is set with the 1080i in the left top. This is the strange part, when I set Video out in the menu (apart from Down convert), OK it and leave the menu, the right hand side reads HDV in ilink. It goes back to down convert? At least were on the right track, I will double check all settings, change tape etc and reply this morning. Thanks Adam
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Scammell View Post
HDV is set with the 1080i in the left top. This is the strange part, when I set Video out in the menu (apart from Down convert), OK it and leave the menu, the right hand side reads HDV in ilink. It goes back to down convert? At least were on the right track, I will double check all settings, change tape etc and reply this morning. Thanks Adam
I am with Adam on this the computer will not recognize the camera if the camera is playing back HDV and the output setting is not HDV. Even if the camera is recording in HDV you have to set the output to HDV not auto or DV and you have to do this when the camera is not connected to the firewire. Then connect the camera to the system.

John
John Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #9
New Boot

Here are my settings;
VCR HDV/DV set to HDV
Component set to 1080i/576i
Down Convert set to i.link OFF

On the camera screen it reads HDV in i.link not out?

Any thoughts
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

With the cam in PLAY/EDIT mode, when connected to a PC via FW and while playing back, the upper right should definitely say HDV Out next to the i.link logo. It will say HDV In when you are not playing back.

What happens when you push Play? If the screen does not switch to HDV Out when properly connected and playing, you may have an issue with the cam.

Another thought: you are absolutely certain that both Capture and Device Control settings in Premiere are set to HDV, as well as all the Project Settings and Presets?

There have been some reports of FW issues under Win7, but I'm not sure how credible they are and if it used to work but no longer does, then it's likely another issue. Again, are you sure there have been no updates to Windows or anything else?

Last edited by Adam Gold; September 7th, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #11
New Boot

Adam the PP pre-sets are correct, I have tried on another editing program as well.
Yes if I press play the HDV out i.link is on. PP still says 'offline'

One point. This camera was never listed in the 'options' window for a device. I normally use Alternate 1.
This should have no change now.

All the settings are correct. I did try on a Vista machine with Pinnacle and another with PP2 using XP.
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Then I'm stumped.
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #13
New Boot

I will play around a bit, thanks for your input.
Regards Ian
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Please let us know if you get it sorted out. This is a curious one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-HD1000