DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-HD1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/)
-   -   Tripod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-hd1000/490835-tripod.html)

Bob Mafera January 28th, 2011 05:23 AM

Tripod

I'm curious what other people are using for a tripod. We have a part time wedding & party video production company and are looking for recommendations. Currently we are using Sony VCT-80AV with the remote control handle, however the LANC pin broke on the handle. Before I replace it with the same thing I was curious what other people are using. Thanks in advance. .

Don Bloom January 28th, 2011 05:55 AM

What is your budget for the new tripod? How critical is smooth pan/tilt to your work? (some folks don't really care since a lot of the work is locked off)

You could spend $500 or $5000 just depends.

Adam Gold January 28th, 2011 02:45 PM

The HD1000 is much too big and front heavy to use with the VCT-80AV. At the very minimum you should be looking at something like

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/243272-REG/Davis_Sanford_PROVISTA7518B_Provista_7518_Tripod_w_FM18.html

and preferably something more like

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563812-REG/Manfrotto_501HDV_028B_501HDV028B_028B_Tripod_System.html .

There are definitely better ones around but these are a decent value. You should get a tripod with a sliding plate (as these have) so you can center the cam's weight.

(Assume you're shooting with the HD1000 as that's the forum you put this in. If not, let us know so the mods can move the post and we can amend our advice.)

Bob Mafera January 28th, 2011 04:15 PM

Thanks for the responses!

I never had a problem with 80AV tripod and the weight of my HD1000. I liket he tripod because it is lightweight, and I have no complaints with the pan & tilt. What I really like about it is the remote control on the arm that allows me control the camera functions. Had I not (carelessly) bent the LANC pin on the remote control I probably wouldn't be looking for a tripod.

As I recall, I paid about the same for thwe 80AV as the Provista that you mentioned. I have no objection to paying more, but I'm looking for a balance between lightweight and reasonably good motion.

Has anyone used any of the universal remote controls with success? Maybe I could cobble together a new tripod with a universal remote.

Bob Mafera January 28th, 2011 05:00 PM

Red Faced

I wrote that I was using a Sony VCT-80AV. That's the tripod I use for my Sony HDR-HC9. For the HD 1000U I'm using a Sony VCT--870RM tripod. Sorry for the misinformation - I'll blame it on a brain freeze as we've gotten abour 30" of snow here in New England in the past 10 days.

Adam Gold January 28th, 2011 05:51 PM

I have a couple of the VCT870RMs as well and I wouldn't use them for anything bigger than the small handycam class you mentioned; I used to use them with my HC7s and now use them with my xr520vs. I'd still recommend a bigger tripod for the HD1000 like the ones I mentioned above. With both, I use the Manfrotto remotes and both the 523Pro and the 521 work fine with Sony cams.

With the newer Sony Tripod you undoubtedly have the av connector rather than the standard LANC pin. No matter; the Manfrottos now come with a conversion cable so you can use either standard 2.5mm LANC or the AV connector.

If you really wanted to stick with Sony and have the built-in remote, you could go with

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/376824-REG/Sony_VCT1170RM_VCT_1170RM_Tripod_with_Two_way.html

or with

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475091-REG/Sony_VCTPG11RMB_VCT_PG11RMB_Tripod.html

The first one is merely overpriced, and you'd need the adapter cable to make the remote work with the HD1000. The second one is hugely, ridiculously overpriced for what it is.

Edit: The 1170 RM won't work because all the adapter cables I've seen are female LANC sub-mini to male AV, but in this case you'd need the opposite, which I'm not sure exists.

On your old tripod, is the pin broken off or merely bent? Does it still carry the signal? You might be able to just buy a stereo sub-mini extension cable and use that if the only issue is the bent pin won't properly plug into your cam.

Another Edit: Just to be sure, we are talking about the Sony HVR-HD1000U Shoulder-mount camcorder here, right? If so, it's not the weight that's the issue, it's the size and balance which require a bigger tripod with a sliding plate for stability.

Dave Blackhurst January 29th, 2011 03:51 AM

If the plug is bent up/broken, just go buy a new one at the nearest Radio shack, any half decent solder iron jockey should be able to put the new plug on in about 10 minutes...

Marc Hangl February 3rd, 2011 06:30 AM

Hi Bob,
Like you I have used a sony 870rm tripod with the hd1000. For the price its great value, but being honest its not really appropriate for the weight and balance of the camera and when i finally had a bit of money saved up late last summer I invested in a new tripod.
I'm sure from your experience you will know that with the 870 tripod, the camera doesnt always lock into position, the unbalanced weights sometimes causes the camera to slowly tip. Also when you pan there is often a wobble at the start and end and often again when when you try and lock it. And finally just the slightest knock would again lead to a wobble
I looked around, read many threads here and elsewhere and as is often the case found many options which were narrowed down by the price i could realistically afford. I wasnt in a position to try before i buy and made my decision based on what i thought was important to me - a tripod that could cope with the weight, a sliding plate so i could cope with the weight balance and the very important ( and i dont know the technical term) the pivot on the central column connected to the head that allows you to change the angle of the camera without playing with the tripods legs.
In the end I chose the Libec LS38 - I cant gaurentee its the best as i dont have anywhere enough experience of tripods in this range. It easily copes with the weight and copes with the balance ( though i do have to put a bit of card between the front of the camera and the sliding plate due to the shape of the camera). I find the ability to get a 'horizontal' image in a few seconds worth its weight in salt. It has spreaders to give greater stability and movement is an order of magnitude smoother than the 870.
There are two disadvantages c.f. 870. Firstly you obviously have to buy lanc controls which do add to the cost and inconvenience and secondly one of the reasons its more stable is it weighs a lot more especially when the camera is connected. I had to film a procession on my first job with it which involved filming then running 50 metres etc and you definitely felt the weight
Hope this helps in any way
marc

Bob Mafera February 4th, 2011 04:38 AM

Thanks to all who replied. Having nothing to compare it to, I didn't realize that my Sony tripod was underpowered. I'll do some research on the recommended tripods. My HD1000U came with a sliding plate, so I'm good there. I guess I'll look into a universal remote control also.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

-Bob