Not recording last few seconds... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders
Including the HVR-MRC1K CF Card Recorder, HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder and others.

Old November 30th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Not recording last few seconds...

Hi,

I've just started playing with my MRC1 CF recorder with my Z7, and while it seems to record fine, when I import the files into FCP 6.0.6 using log & transfer, the last couple of seconds of each clip is missing.

I did a number of tests talking into the camera and covering the lens just before buttoning off to check whether it would record...but it seems to cut off a couple of seconds before I actually buttoned off.

Is this actually an issue with the recording on the MRC1 or with the importing into FCP???

Cheers,
Aaron.
Aaron Kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Trustee

The issue has to do with the MRC1K and certain apps., like Premiere, FCP etc.

Many have reported a 4 frame or so portion of new clips where there is either no audio or no video. The info is there, it's just that some apps don;t do a good job of recognizing it.

I have found that using ClipWrap solves this problem.
Clipwrap recognizes this and if you like, will even stitch the files together into one long file for you. TO do this just make sure that each file is named the same but in sequential order like video01.m2y, video02.m2t etc.

Clipwrap will recognize this and stitch the files together as one full file. It works great with no breaks in the video or audio.

As I said FCP, Premiere, Avid don't stitch the files together accurately. But of course being a Sony product, Sony Vegas does. Go figure.

Anyway give Clipwrap a try. I's blazingly fast as all it;s doing is wrapping the .m2t files in a Quicktime .MOV file that FCP likes. Or if you prefer you can also transcode the files to ProRes or DVCPROHD. It's made my editing life easier than using FCP for capture.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You're supposed to use the included Sony Utility software to join split files. It's possible this could help with individual files as well.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses.
It's not a clip joining issue as the clips i've tested are individual clips only 10-20 seconds long.
I downloaded and tested Clipwrap, which is much more efficient at transferring the files to my system than the FCP log & transfer. But the last second of the clip is still not there, leading me to believe it hasn't recorded.

It's not a major issue as I always record a couple of seconds longer than I need to anyway. But I would have thought that being a tapeless recording option, it should record to the exact moment you button off on the camera. Not the case apparently.

NB - My tests were only done in the normal recording mode. Not sure what effect the cache mode would have.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Aaron. When you stop recording, the unit needs some time to finish writing to the flash card. If you were to press the record button again before it is finished writing, it might cause the problem you describe. Just a thought.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6
Major Player

I have had the same experience as Aaron. I know exactly what he is talking about. I haven't done any testing to determine how much is not recorded but it does cut the clips off short. I know about the Sony utility and about buffering. That is not the issue. The clips are shorter than they should be. For example, if you were recording a clock with a sweep second hand and you pushed the end record button just as the sweep second hand reaches exactly at 12. The camcorder will only record until it is at 58 seconds. Like I said, I haven't actually timed it. I am just trying to give an example.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That's a good example Greg and is exactly what is happening.
Richard, there was more than enough time between shots during my tests for the information to be recorded to the flash card - that is not the issue.
For some reason, the clips don't record right up until the exact time you button off. They are 1-2 seconds short.

As I said, it's not a major issue, but just something to be aware of.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Inner Circle

This is interesting. So it appears that even though the writing is lagging behind the actual recording, when you press stop it stops instantly.

But in your experience this isn't a function of split clips, just of pushing stop?

We always roll a minute of bars at the end so it wouldn't be an issue for us, but I can see where being too quick on the stop button could be a problem. Might be one of those things we change our shooting style to adapt to... just always run a few seconds extra (which I learned to do years ago as I started out as a film guy...).
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

That's right Adam, nothing to do with split clips, just pushing the stop button.

It's not an issue for me either as I always record for at least a couple seconds longer than I need to, but it's interesting that it does it, and something for everyone to be aware of so we're not too quick on hitting stop!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:23 PM   #10
Vortex Media

That problem is something I demonstrate and warn people about in my Z7U training DVD produced clear back in 2008. The camera has a lot of quirks to be aware of.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old March 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Doug, you could answer and help us out instead of doing propaganda. Thats not the spirit of the forums.
Matias Baridon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sony Hard Drive and Memory Card Recorders