DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   hdr-fx7 for 999 USD is this possible? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/100890-hdr-fx7-999-usd-possible.html)

David John Taylor August 8th, 2007 02:25 PM

hdr-fx7 for 999 USD is this possible?

Hi

Just googled hdr-fx7 and found a few sites in the USA offering the fx7 at only $999 can this be possible?

Even if it is subject to import taxes, VAT etc when importing to UK, it is going to end up unbelievable cheap.

Has anyone on this forum had any dealings with these companies?

David

Dave Blackhurst August 8th, 2007 02:40 PM

watch out for these deals - too good to be true usually is... while not all NY based camera outfits are scams, it bears repeating that many of them ARE - do a bit of research on it

Joe Busch August 8th, 2007 05:33 PM

It's a bait and switch scam... don't bother... stick with DVi sponsors or bhphotovideo.com which was the cheapest for me @ $2500

Chris Leong August 9th, 2007 10:28 AM

try resellerratings.com
they'll usually raise a red flag up against the unscrupulous.
FWIW I bought my FX7 for around US$2300 at a very deep discount plus a friend who worked in the shop helped me out even more.
Even at that point I checked everything out of the box to make sure it was all present and correct before I took my money out.

John Bosco Jr. August 10th, 2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David John Taylor (Post 725618)
Hi

Just googled hdr-fx7 and found a few sites in the USA offering the fx7 at only $999 can this be possible?

Even if it is subject to import taxes, VAT etc when importing to UK, it is going to end up unbelievable cheap.

Has anyone on this forum had any dealings with these companies?

David

Sure it's possible. No accessories, no warranties, maybe no lens... Most of the time these companies' cheap prices are to get you in, and then they stick it to you by charging an enormous amount of money for accessories that normally are included, so you end up paying more for the item than getting it from a authorized seller. And if you don't buy the accessories, they give you a song and dance of how the item is not available or it'll take a year to ship the item. There is a long list of horror stories like open box, scratches on the camera's body, broken lens, and including items arriving DOA. Avoid these companies like the plague! As mentioned by another post... if it's too good to be true, more times than not it isn't.

Noa Put August 10th, 2007 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Leong (Post 726186)
FWIW I bought my FX7 for around US$2300 at a very deep discount plus a friend who worked in the shop helped me out even more.

That is a good deal but 999$ I would never trust, grey market products are often 20% cheaper but this price difference is a bit ridiculous. As adviced here I would stay away from it.