What is the difference between the V1U and V1E in progressive mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What is the difference between the V1U and V1E in progressive mode?

I am UK based so have the V1E PAL camera. I am reading specs on the web about the V1U which claims to have 24P. In the manual for my V1E it states I have 25P "just like film", which is of course wrong, as film is 24P. Maybe just bad translation from the Japanese?

So can someone clarify the difference between the V1U and V1E in progressive mode.

Thx

Kevin
Kevin Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Kevin

Our local SG is PAL as V1E on progressive mode only 25p It do not have 24p. May be V1U NTSC is 24p progressive.

http://www.theprofessionaledge.ca/ar...rticle_05.html
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyd View Post
So can someone clarify the difference between the V1U and V1E in progressive mode.
The PAL units capture at 25p -- same as film in Region 50 countries -- while the NTSC units run at 24p.

The PAL units record 25p using 1-2 pulldown in 50i -- while the NTSC units record 24p using 2-3 pulldown in 60i.
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The PAL units capture at 25p -- same as film in Region 50 countries

AFAIK Film is 24 frames per second all over the world and not just in USA?
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
The PAL units capture at 25p -- same as film in Region 50 countries

AFAIK Film is 24 frames per second all over the world and not just in USA?
I guess Steve means the video film ;>)
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I suppose the E in V1E stands for England (don't know what the Welsh think of that!) and V1U stands for United States of America.

Odd though that Sony give the Americans true 24p and we brits get a cludged 25p. Though I suppose it does make the editing easier!
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
I suppose the E in V1E stands for England (don't know what the Welsh think of that!) and V1U stands for United States of America.

Odd though that Sony give the Americans true 24p and we brits get a cludged 25p. Though I suppose it does make the editing easier!
If so, then I'm reserving V1P for Poland, and our friends in the Pacific Region are left without their own, dedicated model;>)
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #8
Major Player

E = europe.

There's nothing odd about it. Everything is played at 25 fps here. 24fps movies are sped up to get to 25.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen View Post
E = europe.

There's nothing odd about it. Everything is played at 25 fps here. 24fps movies are sped up to get to 25.
Yeah... In broadcast, yes. The problem starts with the new video delivery media (BD/HD DVD) which apparently have adopted 24p as de facto standard.

Even new HDTVs are appearing with special 24p mode (see Pioneer's Kuro).

So, ease of editing 25p when compared to 24p - yes. Othewise, I'm afraid we've been hosed.
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post

So, ease of editing 25p when compared to 24p - yes. Othewise, I'm afraid we've been hosed.

Not really. Intelligence (and past history) have had producers shooting at 25p vs 24p. It's easier math, looks identical to 24p, and anyone that claims that they can view a 25p stream next to a 24p stream and tell the difference is either gonna be very, very lucky, or they're a liar.
No one can tell a 1fps difference visually.
Look at how many posts in XXXX forums are about pulldown. With 25p, this isn't an issue.
I'd submit there are some significant benefits to 25p.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Not really. Intelligence (and past history) have had producers shooting at 25p vs 24p. It's easier math, looks identical to 24p, and anyone that claims that they can view a 25p stream next to a 24p stream and tell the difference is either gonna be very, very lucky, or they're a liar.
No one can tell a 1fps difference visually.
Look at how many posts in XXXX forums are about pulldown. With 25p, this isn't an issue.
I'd submit there are some significant benefits to 25p.
Spot, I did mention editing being much easier, with no pull-down removal stuff etc. However, the BD specs do not list 25p at all, and HD DVD - well, the only European model of the Toshiba player is still waiting for the promised firmware upgrade to enable 25p compatibility...

Unless you mean a workflow where I do all edits of native 25p m2t's (as I've been doing so far), but then - at the final stage - render it out to a 24p MPEG-2 file, ready to burn on BD.
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #12

Lemme get this project off my table, I'll dig up some 25p V1 footage, and render as 25p for BD. I'll burn it and see if I can play it back. Just because there is no spec listed doesn't mean it won't work.
Meanwhile, anyone else with a BD burner and player is invited to do the same.
Render a sequence of frames with a different letter or number in each frame, and you'll be able to see if the player is managing any frame conversion.
I've never worried about 25p on HD delivery in the past, so haven't looked closely at whether this is a problem (for real, or just a missing bit of info).
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Lemme get this project off my table, I'll dig up some 25p V1 footage, and render as 25p for BD. I'll burn it and see if I can play it back. Just because there is no spec listed doesn't mean it won't work.
Meanwhile, anyone else with a BD burner and player is invited to do the same.
Render a sequence of frames with a different letter or number in each frame, and you'll be able to see if the player is managing any frame conversion.
I've never worried about 25p on HD delivery in the past, so haven't looked closely at whether this is a problem (for real, or just a missing bit of info).
I'm waiting with great anticipation to your experiment output, Douglas - thanks! I can't do it myself, as I don't own a BD/HD DVD burner yet.

Anyway, it's relatively easy to change the fps from 25 to 24 in Vegas, while keeping the clip length and audio pitch - it can add some time to the final render, though... So if it proves 25p can play on a BD player with no problems, I'll only be very glad!
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I'm waiting with great anticipation to your experiment output, Douglas - thanks! I can't do it myself, as I don't own a BD/HD DVD burner yet.

Anyway, it's relatively easy to change the fps from 25 to 24 in Vegas, while keeping the clip length and audio pitch - it can add some time to the final render, though... So if it proves 25p can play on a BD player with no problems, I'll only be very glad!
Why does it take time? It's a one button operation.
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Of course I mean render time, not that for pressing the buttons (and there's more than one involved) ;>)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7