High Impact promo clip- at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old August 25th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

High Impact promo clip-

Still working this out-- for Boy Scouts of America, Greater New York Councils-- goal was to create a dramatic, high-energy, epic-film feel with Boy Scouts... that helps young men (and women) connect with Scouts as an opportunity to be a participant in the drama.... Primary purpose is tool for development office to secure needed finances at their various fund raising events. Any comments welcome!

www.IDVidPro.com/BSA
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Good opening and some great FX thanks
Old August 26th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #3
Trustee

The good:

You have some beautiful scenic shots and the interviews look nicely lit but natural. I always love the color the V1 brings out naturally and your composition took advantage of the camera and the great locations.

The bad:

When I watched the video there was lots of little pops and crackling. I don't know the cause but you might want to check the original. Maybe it's just playback of the download. I normally have no sound issues. One comment on the editing is that I thought there might be a bit too much redundancy. For my taste there were one too many "extraordinary!"s.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Major Player

There is not much wrong with the video in any technical sense, aside from the pop in the audio which I realized might just be compression artifacts. It looks very nice and shots are well composed and it's all very good work.

What I am not sure about is the "epic" approach. I think I would be more inclined to let boys tell their own stories and explain their own sense of accomplishment more fully. As a fundraiser I think the story of one boy's transformation effectively told would be more effective for most audiences. I've been involved in non-profit fundraising for a number of years and one thing that one has to do is explain the need for money pretty directly. The BSA wants to help create great adults, fine, wonderful. Why is my donation needed? The production values make the BSA look pretty flush . . .
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks---

Thanks Peter, Marcus and KC--
AUDIO-- I don't know why I get that audio. I'm using CS3... filmed in 30p, but downconverted from the camera-- they're only interested in SD-DVD. Any suggestions here?!

EXTRAORDINARY-- appreciate that gut response, i.e., that it's overused.

EPIC-- comment about showcasing the youth- I initially developed a more movie- oriented script from the vantage of one scout; they wanted more of an infomercial... first night there I took the Dev Director to location and simply began asking some of these young leaders the questions... he was so impressed with their heart, that he just trusted me the rest of the shoot.... I do think with more time, a documentary-ish approach, would benefit greatly from the vantage of a more extensive youth-transformation--- but I'm intrigued, didn't that come through as the numerous youth, young adults, adults now in leadership basically saying, "I began scouts as a boy; I don't know where I'd be without scouts; going to DArtmouth because of Scouts; lawyers, doctors, firemen were scouts..."?

The clients were ecstatic with the final product, but I'm wanting to keep growing and pushing the envelope.... Need to improve with next project.

By the way, for the soundtracks I used SmartSound - multi-tracks provide phenomenal versatility in creating music... adding instruments, composition elements, particular levels of the instruments....

Thanks all....
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

The message did come accross just fine, but I assumed you were asking for input about what might be done differently or better next time . . . .

There is a difference between having someone talk about something and showing it happen (which is what motion pictures are very good at). The latter is almost always stronger proof than the former if you can get it (and I realize one can't always get it due to limits on time, budget etc. --there are always creative trade offs).

So in your case, instead of having a scout leader talk about the lawyers etc. show the lawyer to us. Ask the the former scout now lawyer about what scouts meant to him and how it helped him . . . "I remember the time at camp when I . . ." then cut to a current boy doing that same thing. Instead of having the leader talk about the kid who didn't want to do anything, show us the kid overcoming his fear etc. You got the point with the idea of "transformation." Think image and emotion more than words.

Such an approach can be very powerful if you are lucky and have enough time to gather the material. But what you did was great and there is no reason why they shouldn't have been very happy with the piece.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Peter-
I now get what you're saying. Good comments. Thanks.
Greg Schlueter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7