How is the durablity & construction of the V1u? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Major Player

How is the durablity & construction of the V1u?

How "tough" is this unit, physically? I used to own the Z1u and found that to be a real tank (in a good way), but I thought the carriage that the tape rested in was quite flimsy, even for miniDV.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The V1 is very solid as well. The tape mechanism? I hardly use it - DR60 is better; only insert a tape when need archving of a very important event.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My tape drive only lasted two months... camera is now at Sony for repair.

Think I will get the DR60... but not happy to be without the camera for two weeks (turn around time on repairs here in the U.S. is 15 business days).
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hey Ralph,

I bet that once you get the DR60 you'll forget that the V1 has a place to put a tape!

Love mine for sure. I just wish the missing tape icon didn't constantly flash in the display when you were using the DR60 alone.

If you are ever doing a show in the Durham area, drop me a note. I'll be happy to join ya.

Chris
Old September 7th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Bill,

I have to say that after ten months with the FX 7, I was always disappointed with the tape cover creaking and groaning under my right hand, and it was always a struggle to get a constant speed zoom

Now I've got a FX 1 as well, the difference is light and shade!

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Hey Ralph,

I bet that once you get the DR60 you'll forget that the V1 has a place to put a tape!

Love mine for sure. I just wish the missing tape icon didn't constantly flash in the display when you were using the DR60 alone.

If you are ever doing a show in the Durham area, drop me a note. I'll be happy to join ya.

Chris
Thanks, Chris!

I do get down to the Durham on rare occasion (we live about five miles outside of Asheville). Went to N.C. State in Raleigh, so know the area well. LOVE eating at the Angus Barn between Raleigh and Durham. ;-)

Can I drive that red car if I come down? NICE VIDEO!

One of my shows, "Rapid Ralph Runs the Roads," consists in the main part of me driving the mountain roads in Western North Carolina with the V1 peering out the windshield. I add an original music soundtrack and both informative and humorous comments... people love it. Still surprises me, but it's my most popular show and by far the easiest to produce. ;-)

--Ralph
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Ralph!

I spend quite a few weekends at the track during the driving season doing videos and collecting telemetry for people. I do drive my own car on track but the red car isn't mine. I think that young lady would object to any of us driving it! ;)

Having the mini cameras and recorders paid off during the One Lap of America race this year. Viacom bought a bunch of my video and put it into their series on CMT called Borne Country.

I want to come up and run video of the dragon at some point. I was hoping to do it during the fall for the leaf color but looks like this fall won't be the one to do that.

I hope you get your camera back very soon and can put it back to work!

Chris
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Thanks Ralph!

I want to come up and run video of the dragon at some point. I was hoping to do it during the fall for the leaf color but looks like this fall won't be the one to do that.

I hope you get your camera back very soon and can put it back to work!

Chris
Yep, that's the Tail of the Dragon over in Graham County... Have not done it yet but we got video of some places that come close, such as US 64 between Franklin and Highlands, zooming up a road hung from cliffs by tenuous threads of creaking asphalt far above the roaring Cullasaja River. Or, for a dirt version, try 197 between Barnardsville and Yancy County. ... we have REAL roads up heah in the hills and Rapid Ralph runs them. ;-)

--Ralph
Old September 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #9
New Boot

my 2 cents

I just got my V1U and I must say, coming from a PD150, I was quite disappointed with the build quality. The primary material used is plastic vs. magnesium and the camera is not very well sealed. I shoot sports and am not anticipating a long life as there is nothing stopping the dust and water from making it's way into pretty much everything. The plastic flaps that cover the I/Os are comical. No seals, just plain old plastic flaps. I also find the placement of the tape door rather precarious and worry that having it part of your main grip like it is will shorten it's lifespan. It doesn't appear to have any kind of seal whatsoever. Not looking forward to dropping frames in HDV.... As well sealed as the PD150 was, dust still got it in the end.

That being said, Sony make a solid camera and I have to have faith that they have thought this one out as well. Only time will tell I guess. If it goes sour after my first shoot I wont be too pleased thought I tell ya.

Looking at the rest of the cameras on the shelf, I noticed that the days of solid builds and seals are over. They were all worse than the V1U in many ways. It used to be that you could hold the construction of your Sony cam above that of some other brands but that is no longer true, on the surface anyway.

I think it's a great camera but I am not impressed with the construction at all.
Marc Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Landry View Post
I just got my V1U and I must say, coming from a PD150, I was quite disappointed with the build quality.I think it's a great camera but I am not impressed with the construction at all.
Have you found any hdv cameras whose construction impressed you?
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #11
Trustee

Have to agree with most here, my trusty old VX2000 feels like a tank compared to my FX7. I've only shot a few hours with my FX7 so I can't say I've had any mechanical troubles with it, but it does feel a bit plastic.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
Have you found any hdv cameras whose construction impressed you?
Hello Bill,

Unfortunately not I'm sorry to say. The Panasonics' seem worse and the Canon equal at best - something I never though I would have to admit as a Sony owner.

I am going to be getting an XDCAM EX when they become available and am hoping they step it up for this model.
Marc Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM   #13
New Boot

Honestly I have used the PD 100 - 170s, Z1s and V1...

Though not as tough as the PD 150, it feels much more solid then the Z1, and the balance is fantastic...

Just my 2 cents
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
Bill,

I have to say that after ten months with the FX 7, I was always disappointed with the tape cover creaking and groaning under my right hand, and it was always a struggle to get a constant speed zoom

Now I've got a FX 1 as well, the difference is light and shade!
How is the picture latitude of the FX1 compared to the FX7?
Old September 13th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds View Post
How is the picture latitude of the FX1 compared to the FX7?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I've read (I only own the FX7) there is very little difference between the images these cameras produce.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7