How does progressive resolution compare to interlaced? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 18th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
One of the original questions in this post is still unanswered and I for one am curious about it: If you shoot in 30p, how do you handle it in post? I know there is no pull down needed, but since it's "wrapped" in a 60i stream, does it need anything done to it? Do you edit in a 60i timeline?
Paul, I'm in PAL region myself so I stay away from 24p and pull-down removal stuff; however 30p you're asking about is identical to my 25p within the 50i stream, workflow-wise. No, it doesn't "need anything done to it"; you just put it on a 1080/60i timeline and edit as usual. Depending on the NLE used, you *may* set the field order to "NONE" (I'm using Vegas nomenclature here; YMMV).

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; September 18th, 2007 at 08:04 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks Piotr! I'm using FCP and there is a place to set the sequence settings to "none" for field order. From that point on, like during export I assume I just treat it as progressive. I've been playing around with 30p and I do like the look better than 24p, seems to be a great comprimise between the "video look" and choppy 24p. I just wasn't sure I had the settings correct.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
From that point on, like during export I assume I just treat it as progressive.
Yep. Happy editing - 25p is great in that while easily edited, it's "almost" identical in "feel" to the 24p look. But 30p is probably a good compromise, as you pointed out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7