Line in trouble on V1E PAL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 25th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #1
Major Player

Line in trouble on V1E PAL

Hello. I am doing a lot of live-events like concerts and stageshows shooting with 3 V1s. In the past I hooked up my trusty old Panasonic DVX100 to the soundmixer via line-in to get good quality sound. And the result was superb.

Doing the same now with my V1s I get no sound at all. The camera is set to line-in, I have tried 32 and 48, HDV and DV, input 1 and input 2, tried every possible xlr-cabel around, including jack-plugs and RCA-plugs and no sound.

Hooking up my DVX100 I get sound instantly. I have also tried a fourth V1 camera to be sure but the same result occur. Switching to mic however I get sound. The camera has been tested by Sony Primesupport and they say the camera works fine though they only hook up a player and claim that the V1 may noy be compatible with the soundmixers. I have had this problem for 8 months now and tested on really expensive soundmixers at concerts such as Smokie and Slade so I know that the soundengineers are experts in their field.

I do this for a living and I am really struggling here. I have used minidisc to record sound and that works fine but it is a bit more timeconsuming syncing every concert. Especially when I am doing 5-6 shows in a row.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

When you say LINE-IN are we talking about the RCA breakout cable or are you routing the audio to the XLR connectors in front of the carrying cable?

The V1 does not support audio IN on the RCA breakout cable. That is audio OUT only. The only audio IN is the XLR connectors.

I have run audio to the XLR connectors on the V1 from my Mackie Mixer and that combo worked fine.
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Major Player

I am running the sound through the XLR- connections and setting the audio- input via the meny to line- in. Sorry if this was not clear.
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

XLRs can be wired for balanced or unbalanced connections.

Mixers should output balanced (signal on 2 (+) and 3 (-) with 1 being ground), but may very well output unbalanced signals. My guess is that the mixer outputs are unbalanced. By chance, the mixer's unbalanced connections match your DVX100, but not the V1.

To connect an unbalanced XLR to a balanced XLR input (which I ASSUME the V1 has), be sure the mixer signal feeds pin 2 of the XLR connector, and the mixer ground feeds pins 1 & 3.
Old September 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Ok, thanks a lot for sharing that information. I will sure try that. Thank you.
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #6
New Boot

Audio Monitor on HVR V1

I am having trouble to monitor channel 2 while recording
Is it possible?

I am using a Lavalier wireless Mic from Sony feeding the Channel 1 Connector
On the Channel Two I have a Sennheiser Shotgun

I can monitor the MIc that goes in the channel 1 connector but not on the channel 2 in Camera Mode

In VTR mode I am able to select either channel

I will apppreciate your input

Regards
Jose Noriega
www.video.com.mx
Old October 14th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Noriega View Post
I am having trouble to monitor channel 2 while recording
Is it possible?
Switch channel 1 "REC CH SELECT" to "CH1" on the mic panel to record this input to channel 1 only. The mic plugged into channel 2 should then record to channel 2, and you should hear the result in the headphones.

This set up works for me with no probs.
Alnoor Dewshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #8
New Boot

Line in trouble on V1E PAL

Thanks it worked as you mentioned I was using a mono headphone that didnt allow to monitor the 2nd Cnannel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7