FX7 Resolution took a nose dive >=( Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old September 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

FX7 Resolution took a nose dive >=( Help

Well I noticed the problem July 14, 2007 when I was recording a wedding with it as main cam during the reception and the fx1 was the wide shot because of better lowlight performance. I noticed the fx7 was not sharp at all and just put it beside me and said it was cause of lowlight. Well, it's now september and I used the cam again 3 times this month and notice something was wrong with the cam. The cam is just soft period and I don't know what caused it. I searched the internet for help and nothing. Attached is 3 pics from a job done 3 weeks ago where I had no choice but to use the cam. There's a fx1 frame grab medium shot, and a fx7 frame grab untouched and one lightly sharpened. Anyone what could have happened? I also put both cams thru my HDTV via component and yes both set for component 1080i out of cam. The fx1 is way way sharper when the fx7 was sharper in my first initial test. If it does need repairs any help with where to send it? I bought the cam 2nd hand from Steve Nunez and the warranty expired. Thanks for any help.

Monday
Attached Thumbnails
FX7 Resolution took a nose dive >=( Help-fx1.png   FX7 Resolution took a nose dive >=( Help-fx7.png  

FX7 Resolution took a nose dive >=( Help-sharpened-fx7.png  
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sorry if this is obvious- just things to check in case you haven't thought of it:

I have FX1, but no FX7. So I'm shooting in dark. But for a long time, I had issues with my FX1, untill I found a setting was wrong. Most obvious thing is to check all settings, at some point you may have inadvertantly set sharpness setting or detail setting low, or something like that. If I recall, you even can reset everything in the camera by a process in the book.

Second issue could be what mounted in front of lens? New shylight filter, other filter, extender ?

Lens clean?

Did you shoot in dusty conditions ? Could some have gotten inside camera.
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #3
Major Player

I'd say it was a backfocus problem.

i've heard that problem on other Sony cams - if it is, then it's a dealer repair issue.
I think you should wait for other opinions on this thread, check all the stuff advised, but i think it may be a repair job.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Chris,
there's no filter in front of the cam at all. Sharpness is at 8 on both cams. I even turned sharpness up on the fx7 and it just looked over processed sharp. I reseted the cam and nothing changed. Very frustrating.

Hey Stu,
That may be the exact problem. I will wait and see as you've suggested before sending the cam out. I've never had to send a cam out to sony b4 any info from the repair dealer if I have to send out of the states? Thanks

Monday
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Wrangler

I would also look at the shutter speed - on an NTSC camera if you drop the shutter below 1/60 (1/30 for example) you will take a 50% resolution hit. Also be sure you aren't using one of the cineframe modes (cf24 or cf30) because they also reduce resolution.

When you say you compared the cameras using a component connection, did you mean you compared the tapes or that you were looking at a live image? Again, it's pretty obvious, but you should make sure you're getting the best possible focus by plugging the camera into the monitor and using manual control.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

If you feel your camera needs repair then see the following link for info on repair centers and pricing. Enter your camera model as hdrfx7 and complete the other info in the "new repair" section: http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
I would also look at the shutter speed - on an NTSC camera if you drop the shutter below 1/60 (1/30 for example) you will take a 50% resolution hit. Also be sure you aren't using one of the cineframe modes (cf24 or cf30) because they also reduce resolution.

When you say you compared the cameras using a component connection, did you mean you compared the tapes or that you were looking at a live image? Again, it's pretty obvious, but you should make sure you're getting the best possible focus by plugging the camera into the monitor and using manual control.
Hey Boyd,
Cineform 24 is off and the shutter is always 1/60 or faster. I looked live view through my HDTV with manual focus an it is really soft compared to the fx1 when the first time I tried this the fx7 was sharper than my fx1. I looked at the last 3 jobs same settings used on the cam as the fx1 and the resolution stinks. I don't know why it is just plain out soft. Looked at the job from yesterday and my assistant noticed the problem immediately when comparing the two cams just off the lcd screen. (I know that's not how you judge anything but it's significant the resolution loss) I will look at the link, thanks for providing that Boyd.

Monday
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:20 AM   #8
Trustee

Are you using any gain?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Major Player

Hey Marcus,
After your comment on gain and no gain I played with the cam some more using gain and no gain. Shutter at 1/60 N/D off, cam wb and the iris at 1.6 and the image is as bad as you see it in HD and SD as the attachment. Then I decided to stop down on the iris and 2.8 - 11 the cam was back to normal with or without gain. So now it looks like Stu is right on with his judgement. I use 1.6 iris all the time on my FX1 and even the FX7 from time to time before and no problem. Now 1.6 - 2.6 the image just gets messy.

Monday
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Major Player

Yes it certainly seems like a focus issue. I doubt Sony will have to send it out of the USA.

Good luck with getting it fixed - hope it's not too expensive, but as you say it's out of warranty, so i think you're probably looking at something in the region of US$500 unfortuantely (bit of a guesstimate, but other repairs on Sony cams in USA seem to come in about 500 or so..)
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7