Open box V1U-is this rattling noise normal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Open box V1U-is this rattling noise normal?

I just received the open box V1U. It powers up and and everything looks normal. In playing with it, i noticed something that sounds like it's bouncing around inside the mid-section. If I shake it up and down a bit (not too violently) i hear it. Also side to side. But if I point the lens vertically, I hear no similar rattle.

Maybe it's the OIS, or maybe it's a problem.

Can someone shake their's around a few times and tell me if it's perfectly quiet and solid or if there's something moving around inside?

thanks
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Trustee

I hear no rattling with my camera.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #3
Inner Circle

When switched off, it's normal (of course I can't say for sure about yours, but yes - mine is not dead quiet, either). It's most probably the OIS gyros; when you switch the camera on it must stop rattling (however, if you put your ear to the body, you can still hear it - only differently; turn the OIS off and focus to manul - it should go silent, apart from the whispering of the tape capstans/motors).

If it's still rattling when powered on, you might have a problem.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Piotr,
THANKS for that observation.

I was playing around with it again, and did notice it quieted down dramatically when switched on, having a more solid feel. I switched the OIS off and focus to manual. Didn't hear anything particularly different, and it felt/sounded solid compared to when the power is off.

So maybe it's normal and I don't have to sweat sending it back.
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Absolutely Scott - if it's still under warranty, just use it and never mind the noises. I remember myself being a little paranoid about all kind of noises my V1 produced, but frankly - the only one actually getting it through to the sound of the video I shoot is the zoom motor noise, and only limited to those situations when I use the maximum speed at the maximum telephoto end of zoom, in very quiet environment. Again, I guess this also is a normal price you have to pay for using an on-board mic...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7