V1E Standard Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old October 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

V1E Standard Mic

Is it normal for the supplied mic to only be usable dialed up to 10 max?

What does everyone else use as a setting? Even at 10 the volume bars hardly seem to get moving with normal speech.......

What's a good replacement mic ?

Thanks
Deniz Ahmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2
Major Player

there have been many comments such as this regarding standard mic on V1.
Its certainly a low-output mic (for a condenser) and in use with teh V1, people often find it way too low output.

I suggest you buy something like a Rode NTG1 or NTG2. Much higher output. AT make some great shotguns too (with high output), such as AT4073 but this is quite a lot more expensive.

Check recent post by Ralph Roberts regarding his V1. He got it repaired recently for an unrelated issue and reported that his audio problems with his V1 (similar to yours...) were gone when he got it back.

In my opinion, based on this, it wouldnt surprise me greatly if Sony have made an unannounced change to the V1 pertaining to these complaints about low audio levels. Either firmware (essentially updating the software version the cam is using) or a hardware change.

Just my opinion on that - i don't know anything for certain.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I agree with Stu... world of difference in my V1's audio response now.

--Ralph
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Trustee

Deniz
That doesn't sound right to me.
With the standard mic I usually set the volume @ 5 for good recording levels. With the hotter Sennhauser mic I actually set the input volume lower than 5.
I have the U.S. version of the V1

Last edited by Robert Young; October 19th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #5
New Boot

I have a similar low level with the supplied mic on a late model V1E; need to set manual to 8-10 to get -12dB from a subject at 2m speaking at conversational volume; auto yields the same at -30 to -20dB!!! I get the same result with my Sennheiser, which is not the most sensitive mic in the world but gives a higher level when plugged into anything else, eg DAT, USB box.

Sony ECM30 lav mic is more sensitive; I have it trimmed to -8db and I need to set manual to 5-6. What I can't figure is that auto gives a different level depending on whether the input is trimmed. I'd've thought it sets it to the optimum level (which in my book is -12dB, which translates to -12dB in final cut pro, which is PPM4 in analogue when output) regardless of trimming as long as it's got enough headroom. But no, untrimmed I get -12dB, trimmed 8dB I get -20dB even though there is plenty signal in manual.

I'm suspecting the V1E firmware rather than the audio circuit.
Having said that, my headphone output is rubbish. So when I get a quiet period I'm sending mine back to Sony to see if I can get an improvement.
Alnoor Dewshi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7