DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1U Head Cleaning Hell (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/108830-v1u-head-cleaning-hell.html)

Jeff Kolada November 26th, 2007 09:18 AM

V1U Head Cleaning Hell

I've had my v1 for about 3 months now, havent had a single problem. Until now.

I looked back at yesterdays footage, running it through my deck, and it was like the microsoft blue screen of death. There was no video, just a jumpy timecode and blue screen. The timecode would run for a few seconds, then lock up, and jump ahead a few seconds more.

Unfortunately i tested it, and ran a head-cleaning tape through it a few times, testing more tapes but nothing new.

So I come to you, friends at DVinfo. I'm assuming the worst, but have any of you had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chris Medico November 26th, 2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada (Post 782011)
I've had my v1 for about 3 months now, havent had a single problem. Until now.

I looked back at yesterdays footage, running it through my deck, and it was like the microsoft blue screen of death. There was no video, just a jumpy timecode and blue screen. The timecode would run for a few seconds, then lock up, and jump ahead a few seconds more.

Unfortunately i tested it, and ran a head-cleaning tape through it a few times, testing more tapes but nothing new.

So I come to you, friends at DVinfo. I'm assuming the worst, but have any of you had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi Jeff,

I've not had this problem with my camera. I rarely shoot tape now though.

I have a question. What tapes have you run through the machine so far? What brands?

The best way to resolve the problem you have now is to do a serious wet cleaning of the head drum. I suspect you have a clogged head. Most of the dry cleaning tapes will not resolve this type of issue. Find a good local service place and have them clean it. You can send it to Sony but the cost will likely be higher and the time out of hand longer.

Do not use a cotton swab and alcohol to do it yourself. The cotton fibers will get caught on the heads and you don't want that. Also the alcohol has water in it and you want to use a solvent that is anhydrous.

If you want to do the job yourself you will need a kit more like this:
http://americanrecorder.com/catalog/...roducts_id=103

Or the swabs and liquid cleaner on this page:
http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/cleaning.htm

Jeff Kolada November 26th, 2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 782224)
Hi Jeff,

I've not had this problem with my camera. I rarely shoot tape now though.

I have a question. What tapes have you run through the machine so far? What brands?

I only use Sony Blues (Mini-DV Premiums). I dont think i've put anything else in it so far. Luckily I believe the camera is under manufacturer warranty so I should be okay, but thanks for all the advice.

Chris Medico November 26th, 2007 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada (Post 782240)
I only use Sony Blues (Mini-DV Premiums). I dont think i've put anything else in it so far. Luckily I believe the camera is under manufacturer warranty so I should be okay, but thanks for all the advice.

That is good to hear about the single source on the tapes but adds to the confusion as to why it has happened. I use the sony premium tapes exclusively and have had no head clogs on any of my machines in several years of use.

I still suspect its a contamination issue on the heads.

Please post back and let us know the fix.

John Huebbe November 30th, 2007 10:18 PM

I'm having the same problem with my camera. One of my tapes will not play back, just shows the timecode and a blue screen. If I FF or RW while playing, then video shows up, but once I stop the video goes away.

Is there anyway to get the video off of the tape?

Jeff Kolada December 4th, 2007 10:42 AM

heads

John,
Thats the exact same thing that was happening to mine. Luckily my footage "lost" was not extremely important, but I found that at least in my case it was the record head of the camera and not the playback that caused this problem. I put the tape into my deck and it did the same thing. So i would assume there isn't a way to get it back.
I am going to ask the sony tech when they contact me about my camera, and see if there is a way to save the footage from the tape.

John Huebbe December 4th, 2007 07:26 PM

Let me know what you hear from the Sony Tech

Ron Evans December 4th, 2007 08:13 PM

IS the VCR output set to auto or fixed on HDV or DV? I think the camera will always read the timecode but will only playback if the correct output is selected or if the output is set as auto. At least this is how my FX1 responds.

Ron Evans

John Huebbe December 5th, 2007 12:18 PM

It is definitely a problem with the tape and not the camera. I've set the camera to HDV and auto, both don't work. I also tried to play the tape in 3 other cameras (a second V1U and 2 HC1s) and a HDV deck. Nothing. Only thing that comes up is timecode and I get a video preview signal if I FF or RW.

Jeff Kolada December 10th, 2007 10:16 AM

head cleaning

Well I got my camera back from sony today, and everything is back and working. Luckily it was still under warranty for the heads and all. Unfortunately the tech did not really say what all was wrong, just that they replaced the necesary parts and restored it to working order.

And no news on whether the tape could be saved or not.

Thanks for your help,
-Jeff