mounting a Lectrosonic receiver on v1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1
New Boot

mounting a Lectrosonic receiver on v1

Dear all,

I am using a Lectrosonic 400 series wireless mic unit and am wondering if there is a way to mount the receiver onto the camera, for example, onto the horse shoe.

I've been wearing the receiver on a small pouch on my belt and running the cable to the camera. However, this creates a lot of cable cluttering and tangles, especially in situation where I have to run to / away from camera quite a bit (setting up lights etc.)

Thanks in advance for any input and tricks.

Yours,
Michael

---
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
[www.mksiu.com]

Last edited by Michael MK Siu; November 30th, 2007 at 07:09 PM.
Michael MK Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #2
Trustee

I used velcro to attach my receiver to the back of the battery.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is one solution that I think I will try:

http://www.quickreleasepro.com/index.html

I think BEC also has a solution.

http://www.thebecgroup.com/
David Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
New Boot

Dear David,

Exactly what I'm looking for. Do you have personal experience using either mounts?

I think the QR Pro might affect the use of matteboxes, as it adds extra height to the camera. I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you.

I still think a mount that allows the receiver to be mounted on the hot shoe might be the best position - though it might affect the balancing of the camera, especially with a wide lens it will be very front heavy... And of course, I have yet to find such product.

Cheers, MK
---
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
[www.mksiu.com]
Michael MK Siu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I also used to velcro my receiver to the battery and as long as I watched where I put my eye it was OK. I have also used the receiver bracket and stop using it as I found it really made the camera very unbalanced. (I use a PD170 simmilar in weight and balance to a V1).
The receiver on the rear right of the camera really made it hard for me to work with but that's just me. I now use the AT receiver which comes with a pouch that has a belt clip and I simply use a 4 foot XLR cable from the camera to the receiver and clip the receiver to my belt. PRESTO! works fine.
With cameras like the PD series, V and Z series weight on the camera can be a concern simply because of the balance of the rig. The PD series is a front heavy camera anyway. Throw a WA attachment, an on camera light (no battery on the light) a receiver somewhere on the camera and frankly I might as well go back to my full size camera as it will weight pretty close to the same and be balanced better.
Just my opinion YMMV!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Michael,

I have not yet tried this QR Pro, and I am very interested to try it. I often run two wireless mics and I also purchased the DR60 hard drive which I need to see if it will fit in the bracket with a large battery. I would contact the vendor (who I know is also an experienced shooter) to see if it would interfere with the mattebox.

Don, you bring up very good points about balance of the cameras. I too am used to a shoulder mounted camera, and having to hold a camera out in front of you without being able to rest it on your shoulder has me thinking about some sort of mount to add the shoulder support back into the mix. I have seen some basic shoulder mount rigs with two handles out in front where you could attach a zoom control and have a pretty balanced rig, as long as you don't have to change focus!
David Decker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Inner Circle

year ago I got a basic type of shoulder mount for my 150s. It was so front heavy that I fashiones a bracket out of brass pop riveted it the part of the bracket that went over the shoulder and ran a receiver there. I helped some.
Now that I'm back to small form factor cams again (PD170/150 combo) I picked up a DVMultiRig from Danny Natovich and I have to say that it's a godsend.
I get the stability of a shoulder cam, put my receiver on the back on the specially made mounting plate that comes with the unit and the only thing I have hanging off of me is the battery to power my light. I wear that on the belt that I had for the DVENGPro rig I used for my full size camera. While it's not quite the same as a full size it first puts the camera where I want it, to my eye level. Second it balances out quite nicely and thirdly, while it is not a steadicam nor does it try to be one it certainly allows (with some practice of course) some very nice walking shots. For instance when the B&G are introduced I can follow them-walk backwards to get them coming in etc and keep a very steady shot even better than the full size cam. It allows me to still do some creative stuff IE Dutch Angles and get it over my head even though that doesn't get as high as before, it works.
I guess there is no perfect answer. I love the full size camera but at my age it gets to be more than a PITA. I love the ability of being able to get steady footage with out a tripod and I can even zoom and focus with a LANC control on the MultiRig. BUT It still isn't a fullsize camera. Having everything on the camera, pick it up and you're ready to shoot! NICE! But again the weight was starting to get to me. So maybe a Steadicam Pilot??? Maybe but still not perfect.
There is a proper tool for every occurrence. Just too bad they are all different and we'd have to switch the camera to the best tool everytime not to mention the fact it gets real expensive!
Oh well, I guess I'll just keep playing the lottery! ;-)
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I currently use the bracket 1 mount http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wireless.html only because it is cheaper than the BEC mount. It does its job.

On a tripod, of course its not a problem.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~edouard/dvinfo/tripod.jpg

However, I dont like how its mounted in the front because as stated before, it makes the camera front heavy making shoulder work or handheld taxing.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~edouard/dvinfo/spiderbrace.jpg

I am looking into getting this one of these mounts to see if it balances the camera better.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tal_Shoe.htmll or http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ical_Shoe.html

Also, the Spiderbrace is not a good solution if you have many camera accessories mounted. If you are using just the camera, it's great.
Ed Quinto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7