DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   V1U Picture Profiles / Presets (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/109478-v1u-picture-profiles-presets.html)

Chris Hurd December 30th, 2006 06:35 PM

V1U Picture Profiles / Presets

Those of you who have the V1, can y'all help me get squared away on the Camera Profiles feature please. The owner's manual is a little vague... on page 89 all it says is "the items that can be saved in the camera profile are set values of the menu, picture profiles and the buttons."

So I take that to mean that you can have 22 separate camera profiles... two in the camera and 20 more on the Memory stick... each of which can include specific menu settings, picture profile options, and user-assignable button settings.

Where I'm confused is with regard to the picture profiles. Each picture profile allows for control of these ten parameters: Color Level, Color Phase, Sharpness, Skin Detail, Skin Level, WB Shift, Knee Point, Black, CinemaTone Gamma and CinemaTone Color. There are six Picture Profile settings, or slots, in the camera. Four of them are pre-configured (portrait, cinema, sunset, monotone), and two of them are open for the user to assign as desired.

Are those six separate Picture Profile slots available in each of the Camera Profile slots? If so, then does that mean that you could have a total of 132 Picture Profiles available, with six in each of the two Camera Profiles onboard plus six in each of the 20 additional Camera Profiles stored on the memory stick?

Zsolt Gordos February 1st, 2007 03:39 PM

Post V1U settings (picture profile / camera profile) here

I think it would be a good idea to upload saved setting files (picture profiles or camera profiles) from Memory Sticks along with the description and/or a photo of the scene it is useful for - to share with other users.

Anyone has some good profiles to share? I have seen similar thing in the Canon A1 forum.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 04:19 PM

Merged with my earlier, similar thread from Dec. 30th. I'll start a download library similar to what I did in the Canon XH forum if there are enough responses.

Max Volki February 2nd, 2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Merged with my earlier, similar thread from Dec. 30th. I'll start a download library similar to what I did in the Canon XH forum if there are enough responses.

Chris, yes please

If necessary in separate directory’s for V1E, V1P, V1U ??

As my camera is not deliverable in the next days / weeks, (V1E), I can’t help, myself.

volki

John Hewat February 2nd, 2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Definitely keen!

Chris Hurd February 2nd, 2007 08:32 PM

I just need to know the file extension so I can tell the forum software to allow them for uploading...

Max Volki February 3rd, 2007 06:06 AM

Quote:

I just need to know the file extension so I can tell the forum software to allow them for uploading...

What type did you use in the Canon XH-forum?

Or what type would you suggest?

volki

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2007 06:16 AM

Chris, how about changing the Canon's to .ccp (Canon Custom Preset), and naming the Sony's .scp (Sony Custom Preset)?

Zsolt Gordos February 3rd, 2007 07:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Piotr,

I dont think it will work the way you suggest. The extension for the V1E seems to be .DAT

Here are some screen grabs of the folders in my memory stick.

folder1.jpg shows the main folder where DCIM contains the still shots if you take any.
In MSSONY folder you can find HVR-V1E folder and there are the camera and picture profiles as .DAT files.
Unfortunately I cannot differentiate which is picture profile and camera profile, I have seved both and gave names as well, but apparently they were saved only as .DAT

Anyone here with an idea how to save the settings more usable?

Piotr Wozniacki February 3rd, 2007 04:38 PM

I guess you're right Zsolt; with Sony expecting .DAT and Canon - .CPF types of files, naming them differently just for uploading purposes wouldn't make sense at all;)

Craig Irving February 4th, 2007 07:34 AM

How big are these files typically? I suppose a 256 meg stick is sufficient?

Zsolt Gordos February 4th, 2007 07:42 PM

Changing pre-set picture profiles?

Is here anyone who tried to change the settings of the preconfigured picture profiles (not only the last 2)
I assume if this can be done, one may come up with 6 custom tailored picture profiles, make them as a "copy" and save them on the mem stick - allowing to have them recalled in situations where they are needed, while the factory settings still would remain.

It would be great if an expert with deeper insight of the V1 would test this and post experience as a step by step instruction.

Thanks

Steve Mullen February 4th, 2007 11:18 PM

I think I simply copied the the Video and Cine to the slots I wanted. Then I made variations to these base settings. I wound-up with 3 Video and 3 Cine. Then I assigned the 6 to the 6 buttons. This revealed a weakness to the V1's design. If you close the LCD, you can't access 3 of the buttons. :(

I never assumed I couldn't do this.

There's really nothing magic about any of the settings. The only thing not obvious is Sharpness and Color Level. Which is why I copied the Video and Cine settings.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 4th, 2007 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos
Is here anyone who tried to change the settings of the preconfigured picture profiles (not only the last 2)
I assume if this can be done, one may come up with 6 custom tailored picture profiles, make them as a "copy" and save them on the mem stick - allowing to have them recalled in situations where they are needed, while the factory settings still would remain.

It would be great if an expert with deeper insight of the V1 would test this and post experience as a step by step instruction.

Thanks

It's easy to change them out, save them, recall/reload/archive them. I think I've got around 20 saved off now, between a few shoots.

Zsolt Gordos February 5th, 2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Then I made variations to these base settings. I wound-up with 3 Video and 3 Cine.

Thanks! Do you mind sharing your settings for various situations? I cant wait until your book will go to print...