Bottom line: is the audio any kind of a dealbreaker? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bottom line: is the audio any kind of a dealbreaker?

Hi all!

Time to upgrade my camera setup, and while the EX1 is hard to get and in early-adopter phase, I've been thinking about the V1U. I've poured over the previous threads on the subject, but there surprisingly few dedicated to the audio problems noted by folks -- namely, that the V1U clips audio lower than 1220Hz.

I've seen Douglas Spotted Eagle dismiss it, and Piotr indicate that he can work around it in post, so I know they've found it manageable. Most of the time, I expect I would, too, but occasionally I will be asked to record live music shows, and I can't fathom how 1220Hz clipping wouldn't be crippling.

So I would love to know if anyone else out there has had good success with live music on the V1U (any audio clips out there?) and if any V1U owners in general are truly frustrated with this problem.

Thanks!
Marc
Marc Faletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #2
Major Player

I don't have any problem with the audio on the V1u. There is a little roll-off in the bottom end, but it certainly isn't a "deal breaker."
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Major Player

I used to own 2 V1E PAL cameras to be used for live events and concerts.

The only way I could get the audio signal from a sound board was switching it to the mic- position, I never got it working with the line- in.

The mic- signal clipped easily even tough I set the level to 2-3 and the sound board to almost no signal output. I tried 4 different cameras with no luck. I would have ruined quite a few recordings if had`nt insisted on using a minidisc for recording the audio.

Perhaps the NTSC camera is different? Still I would prefer to record to minidisc or solid state media or something and sync it in post. This will give you a lot better audio with a completely different dynamic.

I also tried quite a few microphones as well turning the level down, with the same result.The audio clips easily.

I also found I could`nt set different levels for the audio. On my old Panasonic I never had any of these problems. I could also set one channel higher and the other lower, so if one clipped I still had good backup.

I sold mine and went back to Panasonic. The V1 will give you great images tough.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Just for the record, I've never had any of the problems that Svein describes on my NTSC V1u.
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

John, have you recorded any live music? Just curious. I am comfortable "bumping" the low end in post, but I would be wary if it was barely audible. Sounds like that's not your experience though...

Also, any other takes? Thanks again!
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Clipping? My only complaint is that my sound person gives me low audio. Then again I dont record live music, just speech.
Ed Quinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Marc,

Yes, I record live music all the time. In fact, I'm doing a 4-camera HD shoot tonight of a big band at a local theater. We're using four V1u cameras feeding their HDMI outputs into Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards installed in four separate computers thus bypassing the HDV compression altogether. We're also using a separate 48-track audio recorder, but I can take a line-level stereo mix from the house soundboard and feed the same signal into one of the V1s and a Zoom H4 recorder at 48k/24bit and then measure the difference in a real-world application.

On those occasions when I have used just the V1 audio, whether a line input from a mixer or a camera-mounted Audio Technica AT-825 stereo mic, there has certainly been enough bottom end to play with in post. It's not like the bottom end is non-existent, it's just rolled off a bit.

John
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #8
Trustee

use v1p mainly for doco, talking heads - no problems at all with audio. just did a freebie 'opera in the church' for the local committee, and sent a dvd down to the opera music master for clearance and got an email back saying the sound was fantastic (using an senn. me80) under the circumstances...

no complaints here

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
Marc,

Yes, I record live music all the time. In fact, I'm doing a 4-camera HD shoot tonight of a big band at a local theater. We're using four V1u cameras feeding their HDMI outputs into Blackmagic Intensity Pro cards installed in four separate computers thus bypassing the HDV compression altogether. We're also using a separate 48-track audio recorder, but I can take a line-level stereo mix from the house soundboard and feed the same signal into one of the V1s and a Zoom H4 recorder at 48k/24bit and then measure the difference in a real-world application.

John
John,

Sounds like fun! I'll be more in the packed-bar rock scene 'round Austin (at least some of the time), so I'll need to be mobile. I'd love to see the results of a test like that for sure...
Old December 7th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #10
Trustee

Recording from a desk is problematic regardless of the camera. What comes out of a desk feeding a sound reinforcement system can be anything. The desk might be setup to around 0dBm however the person driving it sets the output to produce the desired sound level in the venue, not for the benefit of your camera. I've gotten levels from +10 to -40 out of desks, don't immediately blame the camera if you have problems with feeds from desks. Having a couple of balanced attenuators, line isolators and maybe even a line amplifier in the kit is a good idea when taking feeds from desks.
Also keep in mind that the feed might not have everything in it e.g. if the drums were loud enough by themselves they will not be in the mix out of the desk.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7