DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   sony HVR-V1U hdv to dv down convert (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/109804-sony-hvr-v1u-hdv-dv-down-convert.html)

Juan Camara December 8th, 2007 06:20 PM

sony HVR-V1U hdv to dv down convert

I plan to shoot a instructional video for sale, and i have in mind shoot the video on HDV and then down convert the material to sd dvd. I would like to know if anyone have the experience and help me. I will work with FCS 5 or 6, like I said sony hvr-v1u dv tape, and back up FOCUS ENHANCEMENTS FS-4 PRO HD 80GB DTE RECORDER

Should I down convert the video while capture (sequence DV ntsc) or should I edit in 1080i/60 and then donw convert the material to use DVD PRO.
Please if anyone can help me

Thank you

I just forgot I will use tapes to capture the video and also for back up a FS-4pro hd 80GB that capture the video in Quick time 1080i/60 is that HELP?.

Andy Wilkinson December 9th, 2007 03:42 AM

V1 HDV downconverted to SD

I downconvert HDV footage frequently from the Sony V1 and HC1 but do this by capturing it in HD, editing in HD (in Sony Vegas 7) and then rendering to SD once the project is ready. I then create my DVD's with Sony Architect 4.

Results are superb (especially for the V1) and much, much sharper than similar footage captured at the same time with a Sony PD150 (in SD only of course.)

I find the above route to be far superior to camera downconverting (HDV to SD) for computer capture and also far superior to shooting in SD. Keep it High Def as far down the chain as you can and you won't be sorry (computer capabilities aside.)

Also, any cropping is much better done on HD files as these still have the resolution.

Lee Berger December 9th, 2007 08:06 AM

Juan,
What editing software are you using. If it's Final Cut Pro, I have a workflow that produces excellent down conversions.

Michael MK Siu December 9th, 2007 08:46 AM

Dear Juan,

We have been shooting with the V1P and needed to provide masters in SD (digi Beta, or DV depending on projects). We've been editing with HDV all the way, outputting back to HDV tape, and then do a tape dub from HDV to SD (digi Beta, DV).

Our methods allow us to maintain a "HD master", but is more time consuming. As the outputting becomes a two step process.

Although you will need to consider that this will only provide a 16:9 output. If you need a 4:3 output, the tape dub method won't work for you and you'll likely have to do a down conversion (with pan / scan) and then go straight to a SD tape.

Another consideration is that editing HDV seems more processor / RAM intensive than straight DV or even uncompressed SD (though uncompressed SD require much much more disk space).

Cheers,
MK

P.S. Lee, I'd be interested in learning what your down-conversion workflow is. Do you mind sharing it here?
---
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
[www.mksiu.com]

Ian Farlow December 9th, 2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Berger (Post 789637)
Juan,
What editing software are you using. If it's Final Cut Pro, I have a workflow that produces excellent down conversions.

I have the V1U and FCP (Studio 2) and would love some advice on workflow from HD to SD.

Lee Berger December 9th, 2007 09:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael MK Siu (Post 789643)
P.S. Lee, I'd be interested in learning what your down-conversion work flow is. Do you mind sharing it here?

Sure. Final Cut Studio 2.x is supposed to down scale HDV by simply placing the clips on an SD timeline. This yields disappointing results exhibiting a great deal of aliasing (regardless of the timeline codec). I have discovered that Apple Compressor does a much better job of down converting in both wide screen and letterbox. See the attached images for a comparison (notice aliasing in his hat in the second image).

Here are two work flows

1. Edit the sequence in native HDV and export the program in the native codec (no re-compression). Then bring the exported HDV movie into Compressor for down conversion and final output. Please note that the exported timeline must be a self-contained movie. HDV does not support "by reference" exports.

or

2. Bring the captured HDV clips into compressor and batch process to SD, then edit in SD.

Lee Berger December 9th, 2007 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
P.S. Here are two Compressor droplets for Letterbox and Anamorphic using the DV25 Codec.

Juan Camara December 9th, 2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Berger (Post 789637)
Juan,

Iam using Final cut studio 5.14, but I think I will use the Final cut 6 that is pretty much the same, please let me know the workflow thanks

Juan Camara December 9th, 2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael MK Siu (Post 789643)
Dear Juan,

We have been shooting with the V1P and needed to provide masters in SD (digi Beta, or DV depending on projects). We've been editing with HDV all the way, outputting back to HDV tape, and then do a tape dub from HDV to SD (digi Beta, DV).

Our methods allow us to maintain a "HD master", but is more time consuming. As the outputting becomes a two step process.

Although you will need to consider that this will only provide a 16:9 output. If you need a 4:3 output, the tape dub method won't work for you and you'll likely have to do a down conversion (with pan / scan) and then go straight to a SD tape.

Another consideration is that editing HDV seems more processor / RAM intensive than straight DV or even uncompressed SD (though uncompressed SD require much much more disk space).

Cheers,
MK

P.S. Lee, I'd be interested in learning what your down-conversion workflow is. Do you mind sharing it here?
---
[www.dvshortfilms.com]
[www.mksiu.com]

Sorry, maybe the question sound S**, but how do you do the tape dubbing, Iam newbie in that. You just put the HDV tape in the VTR or HDV cam and how do you do the SD copy Sorry about that. I saw the clips that you have in the wep page and their are greats.

Juan Camara December 9th, 2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Berger (Post 789649)
Sure. Final Cut Studio 2.x is supposed to down scale HDV by simply placing the clips on an SD timeline. This yields disappointing results exhibiting a great deal of aliasing (regardless of the timeline codec). I have discovered that Apple Compressor does a much better job of down converting in both wide screen and letterbox. See the attached images for a comparison (notice aliasing in his hat in the second image).

Here are two work flows

1. Edit the sequence in native HDV and export the program in the native codec (no re-compression). Then bring the exported HDV movie into Compressor for down conversion and final output. Please note that the exported timeline must be a self-contained movie. HDV does not support "by reference" exports.

or

2. Bring the captured HDV clips into compressor and batch process to SD, then edit in SD.

So, what you told us, is that edit in 1080i/60, when the edit is ready use export QT movie and then go to compressor and use exactly which one sd down convertion, my final project will be a 1hr dvd on DVD pro, please let me know thanks , I just forgot I will use tapes to capture the video and also for back up a FS-4pro hd 80GB that capture the video in Quick time 1080i/60 is that HELP?.

Lee Berger December 9th, 2007 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan Camara (Post 789685)
So, what you told us, is that edit in 1080i/60, when the edit is ready use export QT movie and then go to compressor and use exactly which one sd down convertion,

Yes. One is for 3:4 letterbox and the other for 16:9 anamorophic. For DVD you need to use an MPEG2 setting in Compressor. Attached is a droplet for 4:3 letterbox. If you want 16:9 edit the droplet. Go to Encoder Setting, Video Format Tab and change to 16:9. Then go to the Filters Setting and uncheck Letterbox. If you go 16:9 it will be anamorphic and appear squeezed on televisions that don't have a 16:9 display setting.

I haven't quite figured out how to do an edge crop from 16:9 to 3:4 in Compressor.

Dave Gardner April 11th, 2008 08:08 AM

droplet

Thanks for the droplet. I try dragging a clip to the droplet and nothing happens. This is the first time I've tried to use a droplet. What am I doing wrong?

Lee Berger April 11th, 2008 08:51 AM

I just tested it and you should be able to drag the clip to the droplet. What type of clip are you trying to encode?

Dave Gardner April 11th, 2008 09:23 AM

It's an HDV clip. Could the problem be I do not have the latest version of Compressor?

I've been trying to create my own compression scheme for HDV to DV letterboxed, but so far all my clips end up being squeezed and filling the entire 720 X 480 frame. It would be wonderful to know what to change to get unsqueezed letterbox, then I wouldn't need the droplet anyway. Just a thought. Thanks for trying to help!