Advice on Accessories needed please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 26th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice on Accessories needed please

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

I need advice on some accessories for the V1.

There are 2 in particular:

1.) A lanc controller (I have no idea which one to go for but I need to control zoom & focus with it)

2.) A tripod - I like the manfrotto brand and would like to know which tripod (any brand) gives you the best balance between quality and price. I need the tripod to have a fluid head.

I would likehear what your experiences have been with these items and which ones you would recommend.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone
Antonie Koen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I am kinda in the same boat. I am working on upgrading my tripod system that I have used before. I have been using the same sticks that I used with my BetaCam but they are too heavy even though they work smoothly. Something like the Vinten Pro Vison 6 system. I am planning on getting a Portabrace case or similar to carry the required accesories and protect the camera. I already had ample batteries from my VX2100, which I am keeping. I have already noticed that the lens does not go as wide as I would like, so a wide angle adapter lens is in my future. The standard mic does not get a lot of praise but I already have a good shotgun mic as a replacement. Maybe someday, I would like to get a good stereo mic, as well. In addition, I am looking to get a matte box. Those are some of the things on my wish list. I hope that helps.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #3
New Boot

i have just got a manfrotto 501HDV head and can say it is excellent. i got it in a kit with some legs and a bag but cant remember those right now im afraid

also got a Raynox MX-3062Pro 0.3 which is real nice. not as wide or as mch barrel distortion as i hoped but will be perfect for another use i had.
Tom Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Trustee

I use the Zoe DVXL with my V1E:

http://www.bebob.de/international/zoe-dvxl_e.html

You can adjust max zoom speed with a wheel on the side of the unit, from a slow crawl to a fast zoom - and the rocker is pressure sensitive, the lighter you press it, the slower the zoom.

You can also switch to focus mode and use the rocker for focus. There's also a push auto focus as well.
Old December 28th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for all your feedback. Much appreciated.
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #6
Tourist

Antonie,

I'm using the Manfrotto MN-503HDV525 fluid head / alloy legs combination. With this, I use the Manfrotto 523Pro lanc controller, which has separate zoom and focus controls. You can set the maximum zoom speed using threee dedicated buttons and can switch between fixed speed and proportional - i.e. the harder you press the rocker, the faster the zoom. You can also reprogram the speed if you don't like the preset defaults on the buttons. I have found that this gives you an amazing slow zoom, which with the 20x on the V1 is absolutely essential.

I replaced the on board mic with a Rode NTG1 and use a Sennheisser wireless mic in the second XLR most of the time. I use the Sony HVL-LBP LED on camera light. I have had good results with this so far. Being an LED, it stays cool. It uses the same batteries as the camera and has adjustable light levels, diffuser and barn doors.

I don't have a wide angel converter yet, but have been reading the various threads on the forum and this is high up on my list - once I decide which one. I am also considering a decent dolly to allow me to move position while filming. I recently shot a wedding where there were lage candelabra on the guests' tables. As different speeches took place, I had to keep moving to ensure that I got the speaker without a candle in front of their face. There was a good hardwood floor and a dolly would have allowed me to move position smoothly, rather than having to pick up the tripod and move it while filming.

Hope this is of some help.

Iain
Iain Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #7
Major Player

I'll second that recommendation for the Manfrotto 503 head. Unfortunately I bought mine too soon, when the Manfrotto 503HDV wasn't yet available.

I doubt there are big differences between them though. Perhaps some extra leveling balls, I'm not sure.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I like the manfrotto tripod and lanc combo. The sony light which you have suggested looks very good, a bit on the heavy side as far as weight goes, but that's something I can adapt to. I like the fact that the light works with sony cam batteries.

At least I know which direction to start moving in.

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I'll second that recommendation for the Manfrotto 503 head. Unfortunately I bought mine too soon, when the Manfrotto 503HDV wasn't yet available.

I doubt there are big differences between them though. Perhaps some extra leveling balls, I'm not sure.
From what I can tell the 503HDV head is a complete redesign from the original 503 head. I have been told that it is now a re-badged version of the Vinten Pro 6 head.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7