DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   wide angle, fisheye and telephoto lens for HVR-V1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/113857-wide-angle-fisheye-telephoto-lens-hvr-v1.html)

Ahmad Faiq Fuehrer February 3rd, 2008 01:58 PM

wide angle, fisheye and telephoto lens for HVR-V1?

Hi everyone,

i'm currently looking for these 3 lenses, wide angle, fisheye and telephoto conversion lens for my HVR-V1P. i'm actually not really sure, wether to use bayonet mount or screw in types (62mm for V1 if i'm not mistaken), what actually the different? are there any pro and cons between this two? if any of you guys has any suggestion base on what you are using right now, will be very appreciated. thanks in advance.

-Faiq

Jeff Kolada February 5th, 2008 02:58 PM

depends

It depends on what you are shooting. I would look into Century Precision Optics, they have a line of bayonet lenses for the v1. I love my .6 wide angle, and the .3 fisheye I have used but i do not own one, and it is incredible. I don't know about a telephoto.

Bayonet mount is my favorite because I shoot alot of action sports and I am constantly needing to change between my fisheye and long lens. It's a half twist and the lens is off. I love it. But it all depends on what you shoot.

Craig Irving February 5th, 2008 03:10 PM

I've never heard of a screw-in type lens converter to be an "advantage" over a bayonet design.

Bayonet-style attachments are very quick & easy to attach and take off, so it's definitely an advantage to go with one of those. But there's no qualitative difference for bayonet vs screw-on when it comes to build quality necessarily. It's just a question of convenience.

I compared the Sony VCLHG0862K against the Raynox HD-7062PRO recently at Henrys. Hands down, the picture quality on the Sony was sharper. It had a much greater depth to the image, kept full-zoom through capability and remained pin-sharp. I suppose it's not a fair comparison though, since the Raynox sells for only $200.

For the price, the Raynox is great. It certainly gave a lot of extra coverage over the Sony and had less barrel distortion, but in the end I couldn't rely on the PQ. Since it is a screw-on type lens, it's hard to take it off quickly... so the downside is that I would have to detach it if I needed to zoom significantly, which is hard to do for event videography. If you leave the Raynox HD-7062PRO on while zooming, once you go past approx 60% a whiteish haze washes over the image, highlights start behaving strangely, etc.

I would probably buy the Raynox if it were a bayonet, come to think of it, then I could detach it easily and not cause much of a disruption during shooting. But the screw-in turns it into somewhat of an ordeal. If you do get the Raynox, only use it when you know you won't need to zoom with it. For $200 though, it's a very good lens.

I'd love to try the Century Optics. It's a .65x bayonet, and looks like a high quality piece of glass. I feel like that would be a better comparison with the Sony.

Personally, the barrel distortion on the Sony WA didn't bother me. It is there, and it was slightly more than the Raynox...but barrel distortion isn't really a deal breaker for me. I expect some barrel distortion if I'm using a wide angle conversion lens. The sharpness of the image and reliability of using the zoom without risking those anomalies that the Raynox showed is more critical to me.

16x9 Inc. makes a WA adapter for the V1U now, but the images on their website show quite a bit of barrel distortion. I suppose I would draw the line somewhere. But I still don't have any experience with the Century Optics or 16x9 lenses, so I'll reserve any judgment.

Some people have said that for the extra coverage the Sony offers it's not worth it. I kind of disagree. It's still bringing the wide angle down from approx 37.5mm to 30mm. While not a huge difference, it's still a difference I appreciate. It's wider than what I was used to shooting when I used the Z1U/FX7 stock lens. Which I felt was wide enough for my needs.

Ahmad Faiq Fuehrer February 6th, 2008 05:02 AM

thank you guys for the response.

i'm also attracted with the Sony WA, but do i really need it with the lens hood? because it is almost $200 difference between the one with the lens hood at B&H.

what about the fisheye? i came accross this one from Raynox, the MX-3062PRO 0.3 Semi-Fisheye... i'm not very sure whats the "Semi" fisheye means?

- Faiq

Marcus Marchesseault February 8th, 2008 11:00 PM

How about an affordable/decent telephoto? I don't need zoom capability as I would leave it on full zoom most of the time. I wouldn't mind getting some surf video and the V1 has so much zoom it is close to being sufficient. A bit more magnification and I could get fairly tight shots of some serious surfing at Waimea bay.

Agatha Graselia February 9th, 2008 07:22 AM

I use FE-180 my sample : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9aXMR63B88
I feel it too fish-eye.... if you gus have some alternative for wide (with thread 62mm) please share the samples. TIA

Agatha

Agatha Graselia February 9th, 2008 09:25 AM

refer raynox site http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/video/hdrfx7/index.htm

I do not know the quality of MX-3062Pro (mounting thread 62mm fit V1P), if this same as HD3032Pro (mounting thread 37mm - fit my Pana GS-320) then I would feel comfortable, better than FE180 (too much barrel)

Sample my raynox 3032HD Semi fisheye 0.3x http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQr6l8D4Uw

Apologize the compression, not that good on you tube

Regards, Agatha

Tom Honey February 9th, 2008 05:25 PM

whats the Fe180 you talk of? who makes it?

i have the raynox right now.

Agatha Graselia February 9th, 2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Honey (Post 823346)
whats the Fe180 you talk of? who makes it?

i have the raynox right now.

Raynox DCR-FE 180
Pro http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/...proindexeg.htm

Agatha

Ryan Avery February 11th, 2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahmad Faiq Fuehrer (Post 819475)
Hi everyone,

i'm currently looking for these 3 lenses, wide angle, fisheye and telephoto conversion lens for my HVR-V1P. i'm actually not really sure, wether to use bayonet mount or screw in types (62mm for V1 if i'm not mistaken), what actually the different? are there any pro and cons between this two? if any of you guys has any suggestion base on what you are using right now, will be very appreciated. thanks in advance.

-Faiq

Ahmad,

Please look at the following products for the V1U. I recommend our .8x for the V1U if you are looking for zoom through performance. Otherwise, check out the .55x partial zooming piece as it is very wide, small size, and excellent image quality. Nobody has a telephoto that matches or exceeds the performance of our 1.6x or 2.0x converters so those are worth a look as well.

Most of our Century brand lenses use a bayonet mount. The reason for this is simple; it allows one handed operation to take the lens on and off and it provides a perfect fit every time. If you scew-in a lens too little it throws off the spacing of the cells and reduces image quality and focus. If you cross thread a lens it will create uneven image sharpness. A bayonet mount avoids both of these.

Most of our lenses accept a shade (except Fisheyes of course which the shade is built in to the design). Most of our lenses can accept a filter as well making this an important advantage over other lenses.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/centu...1u/hvr-v1u.htm

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Jeff Zimmerman March 17th, 2008 06:36 PM

Another Solution - Cavision

I know it might be a little late but www.cavision.com has some stellar deals on these lenses. I bought a .3x fisheye from them originally for my HVX but works on my V1U and its been great. No vignetting. I will warn though its an impressive lens and you will get lots of attention from people walking by.

Paul Frederick March 18th, 2008 07:16 AM

I'll throw in my .02 about screw on vs bayonet mount. I have owned both. The bayonet is great for all the reasons mentioned above, HOWEVER, I'm on my 5th camera and they all take different boyonet mounts! If they were screw on adaptors I could've bought a cheap thread converter and could use them with my other cameras. If you go bayonet, plan to use that lens for that camera ONLY! There is no converter to use it on another camera.

Something to think about! Especially since new cameras are coming out at an alarming rate! While I had my PD-150 as main camera for 5 years, now my 1 year old V1 is looking to be replaced with an EX. Which will mean yet another wide angle adaptor! I'm sure the lens companies LOVE this!

Scott Brickert March 18th, 2008 07:38 PM

V1 at NAB Century booth this year?

Ryan,
will y'all have a V1 at your NAB booth this year?

I'd like to check out these lenses on the camera and am hoping to leave mine at home. Where I live there are no stores to visit, so NAB is a big chance to get hands on experience. I was considering bringing a tape for capturing comparison shots.

Ryan Avery March 25th, 2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Brickert (Post 844724)
Ryan,
will y'all have a V1 at your NAB booth this year?

I'd like to check out these lenses on the camera and am hoping to leave mine at home. Where I live there are no stores to visit, so NAB is a big chance to get hands on experience. I was considering bringing a tape for capturing comparison shots.

Scott,

We bring the whole kit to NAB. We have a really nice 20x20 this year. You can come see me at the booth and I will show it to you on the camera with all the attachments available.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Ahmad Faiq Fuehrer March 28th, 2008 11:22 PM

thanks Ryan, Agatha and all of you guys here,

now i have already got all my lenses. for the wide-angle, i took the Sony VCLHG0862 0.8x without the hood. so i use it with my Cavision Matte box. for the fish eye, i took the Raynox MX-3062PRO 0.3x Semi-Fisheye. as for the telephoto, i took the Impact DVP-TP20-62 2.0x for just $100. all i got from B&H, and the performance of these lenses are quite good, excellent for the Sony wide-angle.

- Faiq