DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/)
-   -   I need a light for my V1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-v1-hdr-fx7/114005-i-need-light-my-v1.html)

Terry Terrell February 5th, 2008 06:12 AM

I need a light for my V1

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on a camera mounting light for my v1.

I will be mainly shooting night club sceens. My budget isn't too high prob up to £150.

I was looking at the sony HVL-20DW2

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dave Blackhurst February 5th, 2008 05:12 PM

That light you mention with a stofen diffuser.

K.C. Luke February 5th, 2008 06:55 PM

Get Sony HVL-LBP, LED Battery Video Light. Using same battery as V1.

D.J. Ammons March 28th, 2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K.C. Luke (Post 820969)
Get Sony HVL-LBP, LED Battery Video Light. Using same battery as V1.

Don't think you can buy that light for 150 pounds sterling. Doesn't it sell for $500 US?

D.J. Ammons March 28th, 2008 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 820904)
That light you mention with a stofen diffuser.

Dave,

I just bought the Sony HVL-20DW2 and am intersted in the Stofen diffuser you mentioned.

However when I did a google search and found the Stofen website it appears their products are only made for flash cameras?

Which of their products fits this light?

Of if anybody else reading this has a method of diffusing this light please let me know!

K.C. Luke March 28th, 2008 09:03 PM

Sony HVL-LBP, LED Battery Video Light not just for V1 as some other;s cam also can be used. Is a good video light.

Ahmad Faiq Fuehrer March 28th, 2008 11:43 PM

what about PAGlight C6? anybody here has any comment on this product? it is around $380 at B&H.

Hugh Mobley March 29th, 2008 10:21 PM

Check out Bexor lights

Michael Liebergot March 30th, 2008 08:06 AM

I have a PAG C6, NRG Varalux, and Sony HVL-LVP light.
The NRG is great but eats a lot of juice and you need a large battery pack to power.

The PAG C6 is a great light, small good light source, stays pretty cool and can run for a while on it's external battery pack, but get an extra one. Since it's made in the UK it's not well known here in the states but it is a great value.

But my favorite light of the bunch is the Sony HVL-LVP light. For HD recording it will give you the best light spread (LED equivalent to about 50w), runs on Sony batteries (no cables needed here), is dimmable, runs forever on the Sony battery, has a flip down diffuser and beam enhancer (throws your light source and additional 10 feet or so in a spotlight beam), and can be mounted anywhere via 1/4 thread or cold shoe. The only downside to the light would be it size, as it is a large light that can make your camera front heavy. I mount mine on my cameras handle to keep my camera balanced.

I don't recommend the Sony HVL-20DW2 as the light creates to much of a hotspot on your subject. You can diffuse the source but then the light isn't powerful enough to bee useful. Also it's not dimmable, which is a must for me for run and gun use.

D.J. Ammons March 31st, 2008 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot (Post 850990)
I have a PAG C6, NRG Varalux, and Sony HVL-LVP light.
The NRG is great but eats a lot of juice and you need a large battery pack to power.

The PAG C6 is a great light, small good light source, stays pretty cool and can run for a while on it's external battery pack, but get an extra one. Since it's made in the UK it's not well known here in the states but it is a great value.

But my favorite light of the bunch is the Sony HVL-LVP light. For HD recording it will give you the best light spread (LED equivalent to about 50w), runs on Sony batteries (no cables needed here), is dimmable, runs forever on the Sony battery, has a flip down diffuser and beam enhancer (throws your light source and additional 10 feet or so in a spotlight beam), and can be mounted anywhere via 1/4 thread or cold shoe. The only downside to the light would be it size, as it is a large light that can make your camera front heavy. I mount mine on my cameras handle to keep my camera balanced.

I don't recommend the Sony HVL-20DW2 as the light creates to much of a hotspot on your subject. You can diffuse the source but then the light isn't powerful enough to bee useful. Also it's not dimmable, which is a must for me for run and gun use.

Michael,

I am going to use the HVL 20DW2 until I can afford the HVL LVP. Can you tell me how to diffuse the 20DW2 light like you mentioned? Someone said a Stofer but on their site they don't list this flash, only strobe flashes.

Dave Blackhurst April 1st, 2008 12:15 AM

Hi DJ,

Sorry I missed your earlier post - I THINK it is the OMEZ you are looking for, I've got two still cams with different flashes and the Stofens, as well as the DW20 series lights, so it's confusing remembering which is which, and the bloomin' things don't seem to have markings on them!

The OM-EZ is what the manufacturer mentioned when I emailed them, so I am at least somewhat sure that's the right one...

D.J. Ammons April 2nd, 2008 10:39 AM

Thanks Dave. I just ordered the OM-EZ from B&H. I haven't actually used my new V1U's or the DM20 light since they just came in last Friday and Sat morning I had to fly out of town.

However I did have a couple of hours to play around and when I turned on the DW20 light in both the 10 watt and 20 watt settings it appeared to me that the light did not output the kind of soft / even fill light I was looking for.

Sounds like this Stoen OM-EZ diffuser should do the trick.