FCP capture of progressive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP capture of progressive?

Is there some way of exporting the progressive film from the camera into FCP6 as progressive footage??? cause if it stores it as interlaced, and then I can't capture it as progressive with the software, I dont see the point of shotting pregressive then!!!

sorry for my ignorance, buy Im starting to be aware of this after buying the camera, stupid me...
Martin Noboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:16 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

FCP 6.0.2 fully supports the import of the "progressive" video you shot. Read the docs that came with the 6.0.2 update I assume you have downloaded and installed.
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Noboa View Post
cause if it stores it as interlaced, and then I can't capture it as progressive with the software
Actually yes you can, as Steve points out above. "Stored as interlace" means only that the video writes to tape in fields (two fields per frame). However there is no difference in time between pairs of fields (as there is in interlace), therefore it captures as progressive. This is the single most commonly misunderstood aspect of writing progressive scan video to tape.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Major Player

When I edit progressively shot video (30fps) in FCP, I set up a 29.97 project, but in sequence settings do I then set it to "none" under fields? When I drop one of these clips on the timeline, the new Auto set up feature in FCP6 sets the project to 29.97 and "Upper Fields" first since that is how it is on the tape and captured to hard drive. It looks Ok, but it's not a progressive timeline right? However, if I set the sequence settings to "none" the video doesn't look smooth, it's full of small jagged edges, it may be the way my KONA card sends the signal to the monitor. I'm not sure? Then how do I output a file? Do I set it to render with fields or without? Since the fields are essentially duplicates...does it matter?

I've looked through the manual but it seems unclear about this Steve. Does your book address it? If so that is good to know! I'd LOVE to find a concise, clear answer to this. As would others by the sounds of it!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Noboa View Post
Is there some way of exporting the progressive film from the camera into FCP6 as progressive footage??? cause if it stores it as interlaced, and then I can't capture it as progressive with the software, I dont see the point of shotting pregressive then!!!

sorry for my ignorance, buy Im starting to be aware of this after buying the camera, stupid me...
We've been capturing progressive 23.98 from the V1U via the ProRes easy set-up. It's a snap in FCP.
Fred Olen Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yes thanks for your help. I follow Steve's reconmendation about the update and now Im capturing the 1080p25 footage from the V1P with the ProRes set-up.

thanks again!!!
Martin Noboa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7