Tape Error C:31:23 + Head cleaning tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 14th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape Error C:31:23 + Head cleaning tapes

The other day I got the C:31:23 Tape error. Luckily the camera worked when I replaced the tape, but it still sketches me out a little bit because we are shooting every weekend for the next 3 weeks and I don't want to lose any footage.
I shoot on exclusively sony blues (not HD tapes), and I want to throw a head cleaning tape in but Im not sure what I should do. Should I use the mini-dv head cleaner that is just like the tapes? or should I use an HDV head cleaning tape thats made for the camera? And are all the lubricants and oils the same in all sony types of tape?
Thanks guys
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Major Player

I had a similar experience with a smaller Sony camera. The numbers refer to an error of some kind. I can`t remember what my numbers were but I called my Sony repair centre and thanks to these numbers the engineer could tell me straight away what the problem was. Unfortunately I had to send my camera for repairs. Perhaps you should make a phone call and ask?

Just to be sure.

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #3
Trustee

The dreaded C:31:23 error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kolada View Post
The other day I got the C:31:23 Tape error. Luckily the camera worked when I replaced the tape, but it still sketches me out a little bit because we are shooting every weekend for the next 3 weeks and I don't want to lose any footage.
You might care to look at this disreputable link - it gets funnier and more worrying the more you read. It includes a list of Sony error codes:

http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/D...ror_Code..html

EDIT: Actually, I shoudn't encourage people to read that. Here's the error codes;

C 04 00 Non-standard battery is used. Use the info LITHIUM battery.
C 21 00 Condensation. Remove the cassette, and insert it again after one hour.
C 22 00 Video head is dirty. Clean with the optional cleaning cassette.
C 31 10 LOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 11 UNLOAD direction. Loading does not complete within specified time Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 22 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 23 S reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 24 T reel fault. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 40 FG fault when starting drum. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 31 42 FG fault during normal drum operations. Load the tape again, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 20 T reel side tape slacking when unloading. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 21 Winding S reel fault when counting the rest of tape. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 22 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 23 S reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 24 T reel fault. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 30 FG fault when starting capstan. Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 40 FG fault when starting drum Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
C 32 42 FG fault during normal drum operations Remove the battery or power cable, connect, and perform operations from the beginning.
E 61 00 Difficult to adjust focus Inspect the lens block focus reset sensor
E 61 10 Zoom operations fault Inspect the lens block zoom reset sensor
E 62 00 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect pitch angular velocity sensor
E 62 01 Steadyshot function does not work well. Inspect yaw angular velocity sensor

Last edited by Colin McDonald; February 14th, 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added codes
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: Tape Error C:31:23 + Head cleaning tapes

If you are getting a C:31:23 error that means that there is a mechanical fault with the transport (VCR Section) of your camcorder. Do not use a head cleaner to try to fix this problem. Head cleaners only clean the video heads, your problem is due to a problem with the reel drive part of the transport. Using a head cleaner tape may add to the problem that you are having by getting stuck in the camcorder and causing further damage to it.
Sherman Bahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7