Is there an alternative audio capture for V1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 14th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there an alternative audio capture for V1?

Hi, does anyone bypass the Sony V1 pre-amp to capture audio, eg, to a Zoom portable digital recorder, or any other device, eg, Nagra; thus avoiding the HDV audio compression, and recording in non-compressed .wav format? Would be great to learn your experiences and how you sync the audio to the hdv clip in your NLE software.

Or whether this is a silly idea.

I use the V1 mainly for interviewing people - mainly static but a lot of moving shots recently (eg, interviewing a person riding a horse).

Cheers.
Sherif
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I dont at the moment, but once I have the kit I will be recording audio separately

Why? Because the camera is there to do the image. And sound is sometimes a side thought. There is not the controls, mixing and as you said the HDV compression issues.

I plan to use separate sound mixer and recording device and then sync them together using a clapper in the NLE program.
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Niall, having recorded bands and mixed for CD, it was an eye opener to read about HDV audio compression, and on the V1 experience the noise levels of the pre-amps. Even for a budget vocal session I would use a £500 ($1000) mic into a £1000 pre-amp / compressor and record at 24bit 44Khz uncompressed.

I dont think this is anything against the V1 (as no doubt all HDV cameras at this price range have the same audio limitations) but I am not satisfied with recording direct to the V1 pre-amps. So my question on whether anyones used an alternative method.

I want to record direct to say a Zoom recorder, but I wonder if there are any synchronisation issues between video and audio?

Sherif
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-V1 / HDR-FX7